Menu

Wanna fix your gold and slow downloads?

Help
tuoni
2005-01-20
2013-04-16
  • tuoni

tuoni - 2005-01-20

There are two healthy colours in ABC: Blue and grass green.

The blue means that there is no full copy available on the seed, and no connections have been refused.

The green means that there is a full copy available on the seed, and no connections have been refused.

After reading looooooooooads of tutorials I finally cracked it - using ABC and ZA pro.

Step 1.  In preferences -> network, put the minimum port as, say, 55520 and the maximum port as 55525 (these shouldn't have been blocked by your ISP)

Step 2: Open ZoneAlarm.  Under program connections, make sure all the boxes are checked for abc.exe.  Right click -> options -> expert rules.

Step 3: Add yourself a new rule.  For source, select internet, for destination, click my computer, time any.

Step 4: Under protocol, add a new group, a new rule -> TCP & UDP, one for each port (one for 55520, one for 55521 etc)

Step 5: If you're running a router, connect to 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your router's address is) then setup port forwarding on the 5 ports to the network.

Step 6: Set the global upload to 10kB/sec (I've found this gives me maximum download speed)

Step 7: Enjoy fast downloads (this bumped me up from 5-6kB to 60-70kB/sec.

If the torrent is bright green, but you're still getting slow downloads, the ports may have been banned, change them.

Hope this is of help to you.

Tuoni

• Harold Feit

Harold Feit - 2005-01-20

• tuoni

tuoni - 2005-01-20

So you keep saying ;)

• hkb0i

hkb0i - 2005-01-20

but how could the ports be banned if its your own?
      you say put in 55520-55525 but that range is not big enough is it?

i get green sometimes back to yellow and upload i been playing arounf but no siginifcant jump still 0.1-2.5. really cheesing me off and i have turned firewall off and forwarded the ports as said on faq

and only getting downloads from 1 or 2 ppl

• tuoni

tuoni - 2005-01-22

Bittorrent only uses one port per torrent, so 5 is plenty.

Well-known ports can be banned by your ISP, for instance the BO2K port, but most don't bother, and rely on the user.

Perhaps the torrent is not healthy - I'm trying to download something with only 1 person on the tracker seems to have.  It _does_ rely on sharing, you know ;)

• phatmat

phatmat - 2005-05-07

ok, im confused, i have done step 1, but for step 2 what is ZoneAlarm?

• phatmat

phatmat - 2005-05-07

and how do you get to ZoneAlarm, because you said to open it?

• kersje86

kersje86 - 2005-08-22

Hey tuoni,

i have followed all the instructions u posted in the first post, but its still 5-6kbs. My pc is on DMZ and when ZA is off, its around 50kbs

• zero

zero - 2005-08-27

I have no Antivirus/etc protection on, and I still get shit downloads, not even 5-6kb/s a lot of the time, but my upload speads are around 5-7kbs always...None are Green or Blue, always gold, the first time I have ever seen Green or Blue was today actually.  I have opened all of the ports and done everything you said, i'm getting ZA now though...I would love some help, I don't know what to do, if you can.

AIM: zebrid
      Email- zeabrid@gmail.com

• alwo

alwo - 2005-09-20

thanks alot tuoni, this realli helped me out alot
      my downloads went from less than 10kbs of downloading to over 80kbs... much appreciated

also, if u only have zonealarm... the free version and not the pro edition then u must exit zonealarm otherwise performance will stay at below 10kbs
      its because zonealarm (the free version) does not have the extra options for program control.

• EaRthy

EaRthy - 2005-09-20

Hi Alwo,

I have ZA free - it works just fine.  Control Center ->Program Control -> Programs : add a line item for ABC.exe with 4 check marks.

ZoneAlarm version:6.0.667.000
        TrueVector version:6.0.667.000
        Driver version:6.0.667.000

HTH,
        Norman

• Maverynthia

Maverynthia - 2005-09-21

I think most of us who are on College/University system CAN'T use this...however I've not seen anyone posting a helpful FAQ for us users...

• kersje86

kersje86 - 2005-09-23

i have exactly the same versions as u Norman, but its still 10kbs :S wether free of pro version, i tried them both, same thing

• EaRthy

EaRthy - 2005-09-23

Hi Kersje,
      Do I understand right?  Your downloads are green and fast without ZA and green and slow with ZA?
      If so, ZA is conflicting with something.  Other apps? small memory? slow PC?

Or are your downloads yellow?  ZA, router or modem config could cause this - preventing remote peers from initiating connections.

HTH,
      Norman

• TBone

TBone - 2006-02-16

thank you. this helped a lot. i went from .5-1 kB/s to 40-60 kB/s. it's still yellow but it is definatly an improvement

• sailorwind

sailorwind - 2006-02-18

I followed all these steps and, even though I don't have Zone Alarm, I figured out how to do these same steps on my Trend Micro, but absolutely no change.  They are all still gold and still downloading between 1-10 kB/S. Did I miss something?

• badazzgamer

badazzgamer - 2006-02-23

I am a complete newb...I need more step by step, please.

I went to preferences->network and put 55520 in for my port value.

I got through my firewall and added a new rule...but got confused on the protocol.

Is step 4 just a continuation of 3...all within the same rule?  I set it up on the same window...but I got lost on setting the ports because I have no idea what ports are.  They had options for destinations etc w/in protocol but I dont know what I'm doing here.

I dont know if I have a router or what & how to do the router or global upload.

I was doing good, but it seems you became a little less step by step the further you went...help please

Thanks

• seth

seth - 2006-02-28

That is some very good advice, but some is also outdated, and some wrong.

ABC should really use a more meanacing color than gold to display such a crippling state.  Gold is a good color, old is a good thing, why use gold to mean such a bad thing?!?  I didn't even realize gold was bad until I noticed this post.  Then I realized I never re-forwarded my ports, and once I did that I increased my download speed from about 15kb to 150kb.  However, before that I tried the other suggestions to see if they helped.

1) obsolete with 3.1
      2) there is no reason they should be uncheckd, unless the user was very confused.  Also, this only directly applies to those who have ZoneAlarm software firewall, but is a good guideline anyway.
      3) obsolete
      4) obsolete
      5) ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL!!!  This should be #1.  Though now you only have to forward one port.
      6) This, as far as I can tell, is totally UNTRUE and this advice will actually SLOW down everyone's downloads if everyone follows it!  Upload speed *should* have absolutely no effect on download speed.  In cable and DSL they are seperate channels, like two sides of a divided highway -- they cannot affect each other AT ALL!  All this does is slow down everyone else's downloads, and if they all do it they will slow down your downloads.  However, I don't think the OP was just making this up or is dumb.  Perhaps his computer was slow or overburdened somehow so limiting uploads helped, or maybe it was a weird coincidence.  Can't say.

Bonus: I tried turing of ZoneAlarm, too.  That made no difference.  Only port fowarding made any  difference, and it made about a 900% difference.  I feel like such a moron for forgetting to set that back up, no wonder my shows took so long to download... DOH.

• itsbry

itsbry - 2008-05-06

Searched this database for hours folks... my downloads were slow and would eventually stop... I couldn't get this ABC thing to work for me at all...

Port Forwarding.

I'd set it up once before, but for some reason or another it didn't take or I changed something.

It won't hurt you to just go check it right now.... well? Are you all good now?

The OP mentioned port 55520-25, but I doubt that the actual number made a difference... AS LONG AS IT WAS FORWARDED.

No more Gold for me... all Blue and Green!

• Ben Herndon

Ben Herndon - 2008-10-20

Hello all,

Green worked for me after I did the following.
      A. Went into windows firewall (dont have ZA atm) and added those ports 55520-25...no change.
      B. Went into the config of my home router and added that port range - port forwarding to my desktop internal IP address...no change.
      C. Went into preferences->network (as suggested by 'badazzgamer') and looked what default port ABC used
      C.1. Went into my home router config again and added that default ABC port number to auto-forward...
      after a few seconds of downloading the yellow entries changed to green.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2008-12-10

Hi,

Real newbie here.

I took the port forwarding suggestion from the abc faq, and I guess it worked for a while, but then when I turned abc on again the next day or so, it was slow again.  I checked the default port used by abc and it had changed from 44964 to 42152.  I went back to the router config and added that second port, and I got my d/l speed back up pretty high.

Why did this happen?  Am I going to be having to screw with the port settings repeatedly?

Also, I hate to say that my computer is extremely outdated and slow, and with not that much storage, so although I can download files pretty well, I can't store too many for too long.  How long do I have to keep a file on my computer and seed it to not be a total leech?  Is there a rule of thumb?  (I can't afford a better computer right now.)

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jerry