Cannot connect to AIM now that I am in France

Amy
2008-01-09
2013-01-14
  • Amy
    Amy
    2008-01-09

Hi. I have been using Pidgin for several months now. I first downloaded it and began using it in the United States. I am currently in France and I just now tried to log on to Pidgin. Every time I try to connect, though, it just tells me that it could not connect to the server. My internet works perfectly, and it has been working the entire time.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how I can fix it? I even tried uninstalling Pidgin and re-downloading and installing it.

• Etan Reisner
      Etan Reisner
      2008-01-09

Have you tried any other AIM clients? Do they work? What exact error are you getting? What does the Debug Window say when you try to connect (Help->Debug Window)? Do you have any firewall software running? Is any of that new?

• Amy
      Amy
      2008-01-10

My MSN messenger works. I'm also using Skype's messenger system.

OK, I opened the Debug Window and then tried to log in again. Here's what it says:

(12:18:37) account: Connecting to account aymiechicka
      (12:18:44) proxy: Connected to login.oscar.aol.com:5190.
      (12:18:44) proxy: Error connecting to login.oscar.aol.com:5190 (Unknown error).
      (12:18:44) proxy: Connection attempt failed: Unknown error
      (12:18:44) oscar: unable to connect FLAP server of type 0x0017
      (12:18:44) account: Disconnecting account 00B7C060
      (12:18:44) connection: Disconnecting connection 01750C88
      (12:18:44) oscar: Destroying oscar connection of type 0x0017.  Disconnect reason is 0
      (12:18:44) oscar: Disconnected.  Code is 0x0000 and msg is
      (12:18:44) oscar: Signed off.
      (12:18:45) connection: Destroying connection 01750C88

I do have firewall software... I think. I mean my computer has Windows Defender, AdAware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster on it.

• Etan Reisner
        Etan Reisner
        2008-01-10

If you open up a command prompt and type 'telnet login.oscar.aol.com 5190' does it connect and show you garbage or does it hang for a while and then give up? If it hangs and gives up then it is likely that your firewall is preventing the connection and you should read the FAQ entries about that. Also, neither MSN nor Skype are AIM clients so the fact that they connect is only slightly helpful. Attempting to use another AIM client might be informative, but the telnet test will likely indicate the problem.

• Amy
          Amy
          2008-01-10

I don't know how to open a command prompt....

• Etan Reisner
            Etan Reisner
            2008-01-10

Start->Run->cmd.exe

• Amy
          Amy
          2008-01-10

Okay I just downloaded actual AIM and tried to log on from it. It doesn't work either.

• Etan Reisner
            Etan Reisner
            2008-01-10

If the official AIM client can't connect either then this is almost certainly a local computer or local network problem. You can try reading the pidgin FAQ for the firewall section and seeing if anything there helps you. You can also try the official AIM support websites and the like.

• Bud Ingraham
      Bud Ingraham
      2008-01-16

Just to let you know that you are NOT alone.  When connecting in France we are having a problem, but not when we are connecting in Switzerland.  I know my firewall configuration, and nothing in my firewall is blocking this.  Using the Telnet command, it returns that it is trying to connect to the server, then errors with the following message - Cannot connect to Authentication Server - unknown error.

AIM was working for us in France until about last week.  Nothing in my network or firewall configuration has changed at all.  I don't know what else it may be.

Good luck in trying to solve this.