Smileys crash my pidgin ... and some whining

Valhalla
2008-10-13
2013-01-14
  • Valhalla
    Valhalla
    2008-10-13

Was talking with a friend and he sent me a page-full of a little "smiley"/gif/animation whatever you want to call it (it's a funny little afroamerican kid dancing) and my pidgin hanged trying to show all these and then crashed. I'm using the default smiley pack that comes with pidgin.

I ran pidgin again and told him that too many of that animated things crash my IM and after a while he did it again with another screen-full of this. Another crash. I lol'd, but once again pidgin has been proven fragile. I've even disabled almost all of the plugins to make it more stable, failed.

Also, sometimes my accounts get (silently) disabled and I need to reenable them. So I'm unknowlingly left disconnected for hours at a time. Sounds don't always play, file transfers work only half of the time, no error given.

There is no webcam support or support for other msn features, but I can live with that. There is also the minor annoyance of the site being unusable for days (and I mean the support section,not the main page)

My last complaint is that when I select some text from outside pidgin (ex. Firefox) and then paste it in a chat windows's edit box, then my font is changed ! I don't like suddenly writing in bold just because I copy/pasted something.

I'll end this whine post positively : I like the interface. Also I don't understand why ppl complain that it's unskinnable. I've successfully tested/applied many gtk themes   :-)

• luminous lemon
      luminous lemon
      2008-10-15

Was talking with a friend and he sent me a page-full of a little "smiley"/gif/animation whatever you want to call it (it's a funny little afroamerican kid dancing) and my pidgin hanged trying to show all these and then crashed. I'm using the default smiley pack that comes with pidgin.

>> i hate those smilies too. tell him to grow up LOL.

Also, sometimes my accounts get (silently) disabled and I need to reenable them. So I'm unknowlingly left disconnected for hours at a time. Sounds don't always play, file transfers work only half of the time, no error given.

>> add yourself as a buddy then you will always know if you are online or not. file transfer support, unfortunately, is sketchy to put it mildly...

There is no webcam support or support for other msn features, but I can live with that. There is also the minor annoyance of the site being unusable for days (and I mean the support section,not the main page)

>> everyone  moves server's from time to time. it wasn't that long  ;)

My last complaint is that when I select some text from outside pidgin (ex. Firefox) and then paste it in a chat windows's edit box, then my font is changed ! I don't like suddenly writing in bold just because I copy/pasted something.

>> once pasted click the remove formatting button before sending.