Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Need help with password coding.

2008-01-28
2013-01-14
  • nuclearwast
    nuclearwast
    2008-01-28

Alright. I have lost my hotmail password a month ago and have tried many thing to recover but miserably failed since I was too lazy to put a secret question that i would remember and still can't remember the darn password of my account.
    However... my dear pidgin (2.11.11 ) still has it on, and hopefully I can still talk to friends on msn. But can't see my email...

I won't give up so easily so im thinking about getting back my password from the inside... but here I need some help.
    To clear things up: I am not trying to hack anyone...except myself. I know a little bit of c programming, along with some assembly language but im a real dump about networks...

You would help me a lot if someone could just tell me in which .c files is the code proc that send password, then  maybe I could catch the right packet with some packet sniffer program (found one here on www.analogx.com/) that talk to the port 1863. Then with the encrytpted text i would make a small prog to get my password (if i find the password routine...)

could it work? someone else got an idea or some info please?

• luminous lemon
      luminous lemon
      2008-01-29

passwords in pidgin are stored in your accounts.xml file which is unencrypted.

on linux it would be in ~/.purple

on windows: in the ".purple" directory in the following location:

* For Windows 2000/XP/Vista(?), entering %APPDATA% in your Windows Explorer address bar will take you to the right directory (probably something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data).
          * For Windows 98/ME it will be something like C:\Windows\Profiles\username.

• nuclearwast
      nuclearwast
      2008-01-30

thank you for help! by healing my ignorance you saved a great deal of time!
      my password was right where you told me (in xp). Thx again!