Runtime Error

mgb
2009-06-22
2013-01-14
  • mgb
    mgb
    2009-06-22

I was having problems connecting to Yahoo so I saw there was a new version of Pidgin.  I downloaded it and installed it over my old copy.  When I try to run the new version, I now get a Visual C++ runtime error.  I even tried doing a complete uninstall using Revo and reinstalled.  Still getting the same error. 

• Etan Reisner
      Etan Reisner
      2009-06-23

What error exactly? The installer works but running pidgin fails?

• mgb
        mgb
        2009-06-23

The installer works, but when I try to run the program I get a Visual C++ runtime error.  The program does not run. 

• Etan Reisner
          Etan Reisner
          2009-06-23

Have you installed PHP? Do you have PHP's aspell in your PATH? Can you get a crash report (http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#WindowsUsers)?

• mgb
      mgb
      2009-06-24

I reinstalled Aspell.  Now Pidgin works!

• Luis D Garcia
    Luis D Garcia
    2010-08-15

Just in case anybody else recently started experiencing the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error… After much tinkering, it appears a Facebook chat plugin was causing the error. I opened up accounts.xml in <user>\AppData\Roaming\.purple (Windows 7) and deleted the Facebook account (everything from "<account>" to "</account>" for the Facebook entry) and it works perfectly now. Facebook probably updated their chat client's code and is no longer compatible with this plugin. Happy chatting! :)