questions re "people in room"

b martin
2012-08-29
2013-01-14
  • b martin
    b martin
    2012-08-29

I'm using pidgin 2.10.6 on Win7.

As you know, after joining chat room, a list of attendees is displayed on the right side of the window. At the top, it might say "12 people in room", for example.

For me, I noticed that there are certain people whose names appear in bold font. Interestingly, regardless of their actual name, the people in bold font show up at the top of the list. Let's say 1 of names I see in bold font is "george". My list would look something like this:

george
    adam
    andy
    bob

However, if I check with andy, he doesn't see anyone with bold font. Here's what he sees:

adam
    bmmartin
    bob
    george

Any idea what causes me to see certain folks in bold font when I'm in chat rooms with them?

Thanks in advance.

• b martin
    b martin
    2012-08-30

FWIW, the chat room is jabber/XMPP.

• b martin
    b martin
    2012-11-12

anyone?

• Daniel Atallah
    Daniel Atallah
    2012-11-13

The users who appear as bold text for you are users who are in your buddy list.

• b martin
    b martin
    2012-11-13

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for me: Not only is george not in my buddy list, but some of the other users (eg, adam & bob) are in my buddy list. Is there a way to reinitialize or reconcile my buddy list?

• Daniel Atallah
    Daniel Atallah
    2012-11-13

If you Show Offline buddies in your buddy list, I suspect that you'll realize that these buddies are actually in your buddy list (but perhaps not authorized so you don't get their status and they don't ever show up as online).

• b martin
    b martin
    2012-11-13

You're right!

It turns out that the folks in bold were the ones who had not yet authorized my request for adding them to my buddy list. For some reason, I had multiple entries for the same people in my list: For eg, george was in one of my groups at the top of my list, and he was also in another group but was not yet authorized. I guess the question is why pidgin would allow the same account to be authorized in one group, but not in another.

Anyway, thanks for figuring this out! It's been bugging me for months b/c I'm OCD. Now I can sleep soundly. :)