Estimated release date?

I G
2006-05-04
2013-01-14
1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)
  • I G
    I G
    2006-05-04

Will 2.0 or another beta be coming out soon?  I don't want to be rude, but I feel like I've been strung along ever since the first news release about 2.0 appeared in October.

I don't mean to berate the developers for taking so long.  I know that there are many legitimate reasons that can delay a release (no time to work on the project, unexpected difficulties, etc.)  What irks me is that the developers (or whoever posts the news releases) either gloss over the delay or ignore it altogether.  It's been more than three months now since someone announced that 2.0 would be out "before you can prove the special theory of relativity."  If I had known that it would take this long, I would have installed beta2 in January.  But I didn't, because the developers always make it sound like 2.0 will be out tomorrow.

So could we get a realistic, rather than optimistic, estimate of how long it will take before the final 2.0 release?

• Leif Sawyer
      Leif Sawyer
      2006-05-10

My guess is that:

a) You haven't proved the theory of relativity yet.
      b) Summer of code is just beginning
      c) Fast -> Cheap -> Good -> Fast

• stacman
      stacman
      2006-05-11

Agreed.

• I G
      I G
      2006-05-11

1. No, I haven't.
      2. Do you mean to say that they're not going to release again until the end of the summer?  Remember, we're still waiting for a regular release with all of the features from Summer of Code '05.
      3. What?

• Jeremiah
      Jeremiah
      2006-05-12

Yeah, I've been a bit dissapointed also.

From a chat in IRC, I get the impression that the type of work being done is more involved. I dunno if they're trying to refactor something or what, it still seems to be taking too long.

Anyways, they seem set in their ways, I guess it'll be done when it gets done.

The current beta is stable enough for regular use, though, and I don't seem to have any major issues.

• mentaldriver
      mentaldriver
      2006-05-12

I would rather the devs release a version that is very stable however took a long time to release versus a version that was quickly drawn up and crashes a lot.

• heliologue
      heliologue
      2006-05-14

The more irksome thing is the lack of updates.  Even just a "We've had problems with suchandsuch, and it's set our schedule back" every couple of weeks would be nice.  There are a lot of people wondering about the status of the project that aren't involved enough to get on IRC or join a mailing list.

For those of you interested (and I'm sure this is the billionth time this has been posted), you can get semi-daily Windows builds at http://geddeth.dk/downloads/gaim/

• Achton
        Achton
        2006-05-15

heliologue et.al.:

I would still like to emphasize the fact that my Win32-builds are totally non-official and unsupported by the developers (if not frowned upon), and any trouble you encounter with them should be duplicated using the official betas before posting about it to the forums.

Second, anyone who follows the SVN commits and/or the developer's mailing list will know that Gaim is still very actively developed at the moment. {No info == !(bad info)}.

Best regards,
        Geddeth.

• hexadus
      hexadus
      2006-05-15

I also think the time is passing by, waiting for the new relase. But I am already using the Beta version, but I need the Perl plugin possibility, which does not work at the moment, but would be corrected in the next version.

• piffle
      piffle
      2006-05-17

Actually, in a standard graduate class on general relativity, a presentation of special relativity usually spans about two lectures. Maybe three. So, yes, they did make it sound like an update would be available in the near future. A few /hours/ if the statement were to be taken literally.

But I agree, what is most bothersome is the complete lack of updates. These days I only go to the gaim main page every few weeks. And even at vanishing frequency, it's still evidently futile to expect any news.  Obviously they are under no obligation to provide anything /at all/, but it seems clear that very many people would be interested in some brief status updates.

• Eddie Maddox
      Eddie Maddox
      2006-05-21

> "...a presentation of special relativity usually spans about two lectures. Maybe three."

I don't know how many pages of notes a Prof uses in a two or three lecture treatment of SR, but here is one in just 10 pages:

http://faculty.luther.edu/~macdonal/Interval.pdf
      Special and General Relativity Based on the Physical Meaning of the Spacetime Interval
      Not published.
      Alan Macdonald Department of Mathematics • Luther College macdonal@luther.edu • http://faculty.luther.edu/ ̃macdonal

Abstract: We outline a simple development of special and general relativity based on the physical meaning of the spacetime interval. The Lorentz transformation is not used. The approach is suitable for beginning students.

Gaim 2 is now surely close at hand.

Eddie

• Eddie Maddox
      Eddie Maddox
      2006-05-21

Alan's paper,
      http://faculty.luther.edu/~macdonal/Interval.pdf
      Special and General Relativity Based on the Physical Meaning of the Spacetime Interval

pg 1  1.  Introduction
      pg 2  2.  The Interval in Special Relativity
      pg 6  3.  The Interval in General Relativity
      pg 7  4.  Appendix: The Equivalence Principal

So the SR bit of it takes only 5 pages.

Eddie

• realm86
      realm86
      2006-05-27

will gaim 2.0.0 probably be announced when the new ubuntu is released?

• fluffman86
        fluffman86
        2006-05-30

that would be cool...it's quite possible, but i'm not sure how involved or concerned the dev's are about one linux distro...

seems like it would make sense for people to download dapper drake with gaim 2 final already on it rather than have to upgrade a few days (prayerfully) later.

• For me 1update of the news per month would be great ... not happening thought ... :(

• I'm kinda dissapointed in gaim ... the only thing that keeps me using it is it's ergonomical interface ... but that might change because of the lack of features it has ...

• Dimitris
      Dimitris
      2006-06-05

Have you seen what the KDE equivalent can do? (i think its called Koppete or something).

wow.. a billion features more... i'm so jealous..

makes me wonder, we wait a few years and all we get is 3-4 new features and we feel grateful

while the KDE people get the same amount of features  they get them in a couple of weeks.

look at gaim v2, we wait a few years and all we get is a bunch of improvements with no real new features or anything impressive. Just things we take for granded in other applications...

i bet v2 final will come out at some point, we'll all install it and... that would be it... it won't have anything to impress us or anything with a "WOW" factor.

so what have the developers been doing for two or so years compared to other similar applications like Koppete? i bet they'll tell us we should be grateful they even do any coding.

Someone has to fork gaim into a real open source project with a committee and alive developers.

• Etan Reisner
        Etan Reisner
        2006-06-06

You go have fun forking gaim. Let me know when you get a second release (oh, and have those tons of features you want).

• piffle
          piffle
          2006-06-06

You see, that's part of the problem. Even when you do deign to break your stony silence, you guys come off like dicks. Nevermind attracting users, I'm guesing that your real problem is that you can't attract /developers/. I've written software professionally, including network and gtk work, for the better part of the last decade. I could probably  chip in, if I wanted to. But I get the impression working with you lot of primadonnas would be a nightmare, so I don't.

• Etan Reisner
            Etan Reisner
            2006-06-07

So apparently you missed the part where I was responding to someone being an ass for no reason? Have you ever actually tried speaking usefully to a gaim developer? I don't know a single one who isn't helpful and encouraging to people who ask intelligent questions and/or want to actually help.
            That being said, I also don't know a single developer who is kind to people who are willfully ignorant, purposefully stupid, uninterested in real answers, or just downright annoying.
            You are free to use or not use gaim, you are free to help develop or not help develop gaim, that's the point. Similarly we are not beholden to anyone's opinions about what gaim should and shouldn't do, that's also the point. We work on this for free in our spare time because we like to, and that means we are going to work on the features we care about when we care about them. If people want other features they can chip in. Random sarcastic comments about the amount of features gaim has, snide remarks about how "impressive" any version of gaim is going to be, and idle remarks/threats about forking are unhelpful and annoying, I responded in kind.
            If you actually want to help, join #gaim and pitch in. You and the SoC students will be most welcomed.

• the xexes
              the xexes
              2006-06-17

"You are free to use or not use gaim, you are free to help develop or not help develop gaim, that's the point. Similarly we are not beholden to anyone's opinions about what gaim should and shouldn't do, that's also the point. We work on this for free in our spare time because we like to, and that means we are going to work on the features we care about when we care about them."

This comment right here is what the poster was talking about as "primadona".  Yes, this is a select few individuals project.  Sure people could come into it.  But what is the likelihood that their work is going to be implemented?  This is a project run and designed by a few.  Arrogance here is unnecessary.  We are here in the first place because we like the software and want to see it continue.  However, as users we feel like you could care less if we use it.  In fact, I personally get the impression that people wouldn't use it and just stop bugging you.

It is strange to me, this mentality.  Sure, you will be criticized in a project.  But, look at it from a user standpoint.  We have no idea what is going on and as far as we know, nothing is going on.

Flame me, get mad at me all you like.  But do understand that your user base if feels alienated.  I have for some time now.

• Etan Reisner
                Etan Reisner
                2006-06-19

"what is the likelihood that their work is going to be implemented?" Have you even bothered to look at the patch tracker? Or the COPYRIGHT file? gaim is always willing to accept useful, well written patches from *anyone* who submits them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, or became disillusioned when their pet patch wasn't accepted (generally because it was poorly written and they didn't want to fix it, or because it was for a feature we didn't want).

I don't flame people, that's not helpful (you'll notice if you look carefully that I never have either). I do respond harshly to people that insult me, or the other developers. If anyone with a serious question gets anything other than a serious answer 9 times out of 10 that person will have a history of being annoying. (The other 1 time I can't really talk about as I don't know that I've ever seen it.)

I could not care any less if any specific people use gaim, which is not to say that I don't want people to use it. I am more than happy to write and distribute gaim for use by anyone that would like to use it, and I am also happy to make it work better for the way people use it. But I am not beholden to any of the people who use it and anyone who claims that I am or makes demands just annoys me (and the other developers).

I am exactly attacking the "nothing is going on" preception. There are plenty of things going on and they are easy enough to find, the fact that the website isn't updated isn't the end-all-be-all of the story, the fact that some people think it is is the problem I am trying to solve.

• Jeremiah
                  Jeremiah
                  2006-07-29

"the fact that the website isn't updated isn't the end-all-be-all of the story, the fact that some people think it is is the problem I am trying to solve."

Here's another solution: Find and dedicate a person to update the website.

• Doesn't the KDE equivalent just use gaim's library? And it just adds a couple of bells and stuff not found in gaim. It sounds like they let gaim developers do all the work and get all the benefits.

• hell with even more bells and whistles (aka tons of features I'll never use anyways)... I'd like to see ALL old features actually working 100%.  I'd like to see something lean / someting KISS instead of some bloated prog that tries to please everyone and their neighbors too.

my 2cents.

1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)