Facebook plugin

joe935
2010-09-26
2013-01-14
  • joe935
    joe935
    2010-09-26

I have been using the facebook plugin for quite a while, but now other people on the facebook buddy list will only show as being on line when they start typing a message. I will receive the message and they will show as being on line but that status seems to time out and they go off line. However I am not off line to the other user.
    I have reinstalled the plugin but it did not help.
    Any one else having this problem?

• fish ><>
    fish ><>
    2010-09-26

I don't use the facebook plugin, but to make it work, you can switch to XMPP for facebook instead of the plugin.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-09-26

are there instructions somewhere on the Net for using XMPP? I'm not acquainted with it.
    BTW the problem seems to have disappeared.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-09-26

Thanks for all the advice. I installed XMPP and after a few trials and errors i seem to have gotten it to work.

• Pahadimas
    Pahadimas
    2010-12-08

I have a similar problem that had Joe. Approximatively in the period in which he posted I used without problems the Facebook plugin for Pidgin, but now, after a while (just like him) other people on the Facebook buddy list will only show as being online when they messages me, and remains online even when they go away. Is there any problem with Facebook in this days? Or did they change any parameters and the plugin have problems?

Also I can't access with XMPP protocol cause errors (it gives "Encryption not available on the server" error or, if I disable encryption, Unknown error).

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-08

pahadimas;
    you must set  CONNECTION SECURITY to "Use encryption if available
    And Check "allow plain text auth. over unencrypted streams"
    Post back if you still can't connect using XMPP.!

• Pahadimas
    Pahadimas
    2010-12-08

Where is the "use encryption if available" option?
    "Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams" is already checked.
    I'm trying this parameters:

Username: The number after "http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=" in my profile URL
    Domain: chat.facebook.com
    Resource: (empty)
    Local alias: (empty)
    Create this new account on the server: (unchecked)
    Require SS/TLS: (checked, but no differences if I uncheck it)
    Force old (port 5223) SSL: (unchecked)
    "Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams":  (checked)
    Connection port: 5222
    Connection server: chat.facebook.com
    File transfer proxies: proxy.eu.jabber.org (the default one)
    BOSH URL: (empty)

Something to change?
    However, I would not that, not using the encryption, someone can read my conversations.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-08

My User name is actually my name "joe b calderone" not a number

Where is the "use encryption if available" option?
    On my Advanced tab its right above; "Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams"

all your other options look ok.

dont forget to check: "Create this new account on the server: when you make any changes

• Pahadimas
    Pahadimas
    2010-12-08

I didn't associate an username to my facebook account, because in this moment I don't want to choose a definitive, unchangeable, one. So, if you're Facebook Page URL is "http://www.facebook.com/joe.b.calderone" (I suppose that there are the dots between words) and your username is "joe.b.calderone"… if my Facebook Page URL is "http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1234567890", my username mine should be "profile.php?id=1234567890" (in a first moment I thought "1234567890"), not?
    The Facebook plugin doesn't force to choose a Facebook username. There is the email… why I can't access through that?? :(

The "use encryption if available" option there wasn't in my Pidgin 2.7.3. Now, updating to 2.7.7, I got.
    Connection server is right "chat.facebook.com"? Some guides reports that and some other empty.

"Create this new account on the server" in which server creates the account? I obviously ALREADY have the Facebook account.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-08

did you find the "use encription if available." It is a drop down menu?
    The create a new account is NOT to create a Facebook account. it is to create the XXMP account.

• Etan Reisner
    Etan Reisner
    2010-12-08

A couple quick things:
    - Allow plaintext auth over unecrypted streams is a VERY bad idea in all but the most specific of circumstances. Using it means that you will be sending your password in the clear, anyone watching your traffic will then be able to see (and steal) it. Though it would appear that at the moment facebook does require this for connections which is very strange.
    - Using facebook via XMPP requires a set username because that is what facebook decided to require. It is possible that other non-username values will be able to be used but that will almost certainly be by accident rather than on purpose. The facebook plugin doesn't need a username because it logs you in via the facebook website directly.
    - You should not need a "Connect server" specified.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-08

all i can tell you is that thats what works for me. Dont use it if it's not to your liking.

• Etan Reisner
    Etan Reisner
    2010-12-08

I apparently was under the misapprehension that needing to disable secure connections was a recent "feature" of the facebook server, it would appear that it is not. I wasn't suggesting not using it as much as I was trying to indicate why it is really just not a good thing to be forced to use.

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-08

I understand. Im not that paranoid.
    So, you didn't say if you are connecting or not?

• Etan Reisner
    Etan Reisner
    2010-12-08

I don't use facebook chat. I was only clarifying some points.

• Silver Fang
    Silver Fang
    2010-12-23

What do you put in the Resource field when setting up a Facebook account on Pidgin?

• joe935
    joe935
    2010-12-23

leave it blank!

• Silver Fang
    Silver Fang
    2010-12-23

Thank you!