Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Pidgin has encountered a problem ...

Jeff Haney
2008-12-01
2013-01-14
  • Jeff Haney
    Jeff Haney
    2008-12-01

I've seen some references to this, but never an answer.  I just installed Pidgin 2.5.2 on Windows XP Pro.  When I attempt to start it I get an error box with the message:

Pidgin has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

When I click ok Pidgin closes.  I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled several times and restarted windows in between and always get the same results.

I was wondering if anybody has come across a fix for this problem or if there are any suggestions on what to try.

Thanks

• Etan Reisner
      Etan Reisner
      2008-12-02

Any number of things can cause pidgin to crash. We need to figure out what your specific crash is before it can be fixed. To do that you need to follow the directions on the http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#windowsusers page.

• Jeff Haney
      Jeff Haney
      2008-12-02

I downloaded and installed the debug version and it worked.  I'm not sure why it would work and the regular version doesn't.  I downloaded the regular version multiple times to make sure I had a good copy and never could get it to work.  Each time I uninstalled Pidgin and the GTK before reinstalling.  I've seen other people with the same error that I had been receiving and never an answer on the cause, so I guess I'll run the debug version for now.