Help
Jamesbch
2010-06-22
2013-04-25
  • Jamesbch
    Jamesbch
    2010-06-22

Hello,

I read on the site that the formula was actually rendered in an image that were sent to the other person. But it doesn't seem to work, the other only sees the characters not the image. Is there any plan to send the image as a custom smiley (for MSN) for example ? I saw "make_latex_smiley" in the code and though it is what I ask for, isn't it ?

Thank you for your great work !

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

Hello,

the code you mentioned is only a branch in the Repository, which is in an alpha state at the moment. The problem is, that it isn't that easy to determine, if the current protocol supports custom smileys (the MSN protocol does support it, but this support isn't implemented in Pidgin yet, afaik), which is why we didn't release it yet. So in the release the image is only parsed locally and only the raw LaTeX code is sent to the other party, so they would need an corresponding plugin for their IM client.

You could try the code from the mentioned branch, but with no guarantee that it will work in any way.

Qjuh

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

Me again,

actually I have found no such method in the code. The branch focusses on clickable formulas, which insert the corresponding raw LaTeX code in the text-box. So could you please tell me which code you are referring to?

Qjuh

• Jamesbch
    Jamesbch
    2010-06-22

I thought that libpurple implemented the custom smileys, so am I wrong ? (Because there *IS* a "custom smileys" panel in pidgin). But except this I know there is the handwritten message support which uses image, so it could be a possible way to do it. I think it's possible if the libpurple supports sending them more than receiving.

The code I quoted comes from the svn repo (svn://svn.unfreeze.net/home/svn/pidgin-latex/trunk/pidgin-latex) in plugin.c file.

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

Oh, now I understand. That is a different plugin. Our plugin is hosted here on Sourceforge and is a completely different plugin, just sharing the name with the one hosted on unfreeze.net. So please contact the developers of that plugin, if you need support there.

Qjuh

• Jamesbch
    Jamesbch
    2010-06-22

Ok sorry. I was looking at the unfreeze code but I'm using yours (because I uses the package system of gentoo which links to the sourceforge). I though it was the same, I'm sorry.

But anyway can't you use the handwritten message to send the formula ? There is "latex_to_image" which seems to render the image to a png file. What do you think of this ?

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

I can't find a note on support of handwritten messages by Pidgin, neither can I find such a function in Pidgin itself. I know that MSN supports this, but since Pidgin has no support of this feature of MSN I can't use libpurple here.

As soon as there is a protocol-plugin which supports real custom-smileys (I don't know any, that does yet) please tell me and I will try to implement this. But before that, the chances of this feature coming into Pidgin-LaTeX are very low.

Qjuh

• Jamesbch
    Jamesbch
    2010-06-22

There was a big discussion here: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1187 and now there is an answer about custom smileys in the FAQ for MSN: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Protocol%20Specific%20Questions
    "Can I turn off displaying custom smileys?

Yes. It is in the options for your MSN account. Go to Accounts->Manage, select your MSN account, click Modify, select the Advanced tab, and uncheck "Show custom smileys". "

And since I saw this checkbox in my pidgin, there is support for it or it seems there is. Moreover I saw some custom smileys so it was working. It shows up after 2008 (after the last version of Pidgin-Latex). After that I don't know if there is a plugin-support to use it but it must be.

Despite the possible lacking of this. There is a possible workaround: Create a "temporary" custom smiley (which contains the rendered formula), send it and clean it after. (Creation of smileys: http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/11187/simple.c) *BUT* according to this ticket: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11187, pidgin must be restarted. I would like to test if it's working even this problem. See http://developer.pidgin.im/doxygen/dev/html/smiley_8h.html for more information about the commands to manage custom smileys.

Let's give it a try !

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

As far as I have seen, this feature only means, that you can display custom smileys sent to you by an MSN user and that you can create shortcuts, which display ON YOUR SIDE as custom smileys. There is no support to actually send the image to the other MSN buddy, at least I wasn't able to manage to get it working. If you have any more insight than me, I would love to hear your ideas/knowledge. You can also contact me by E-Mail, because I don't think this is of any help to the other forum users.

Qjuh

• Diego
    Diego
    2010-06-22

There is no support to actually send the image to the other MSN buddy

The patch jamesbch reffers to was meant to implement this support. If I remember correctly you have to create an association between some text and the image. And then the MSN prpl replaces the text and sends the image.

There is a possible workaround: Create a "temporary" custom smiley (which contains the rendered formula), send it and clean it after.

This is what I tried a few years ago (it was gaim and gaim-latex back then :) but when I tested it the formula was put inside an "smilie sized" image and, being most of it chopped off, it was unreadable.

Then I gave up. But I still keep an svn repository with the patches. I can publish it somewhere or send a dump of the db if you want.

• Qjuh
    Qjuh
    2010-06-22

Oh, I'm sorry, I was a bit confused there. We were actually working on the same idea some time ago (I have the corresponding code here) but didn't get it to work (neither the image was sent, nor the custom smiley was shown client-side). Looks like that's just Bug #11187 screwing our plans here. So, as long as that method for adding custom smileys programmatically doesn't work I see very low chances, that it will work.

(overworked) Qjuh