Cross platform path with 3.0beta2

Help
Jeff Brown
2006-02-07
2013-04-22
  • Jeff Brown
    Jeff Brown
    2006-02-07

(This was originally posted as a comment for a feedback thread on the other forum, and I've finally gotten back to try and rectify that situation.)

Background: I'm forced to use Windows when on a customer site (but I can run gaim, so I can't complain too much) so I'm in the habit of copying my .gaim folder to/from my linux partition. 

Issue: I noticed today after trying out gaim2.0beta and your awesome plugin (Many thanks, BTW) that it no longer handles that well. The issue is that it seems to keep the full path in the plugin settings, so now I have to change C:\...\.gaim to /home/.../.gaim in the configuration. I guess it used to be a relative path because it always worked before.

Is this operator error, a new "feature" or something else?

jeff
    sdg

• Bill Tompkins
      Bill Tompkins
      2006-02-07

Sorry about missing your earlier message.

Unfortunately, this is a result of the feature that lets users specify the location of their key files (and thus keep them off of network drives, etc).  I'll look at doing something to take the default location (in the .gaim directory) and saving that as a special case, so that it would be loaded correctly on both Win32 and Linux.

-Bill

• Jeff Brown
      Jeff Brown
      2006-02-09

No worries about missing it.  My fault for posting it in the wrong place.

I'd appreciate you looking into it very much.  It used to work just fine and I got used to it.  Too bad windows doesn't do soft links like Linux does (or at least not that I've ever seen work.)

jeff
      sdg

• Jeff Brown
        Jeff Brown
        2006-02-09

Well, there is this

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

but I'd still have to overcome the whole /home vs C:\ issue.

I'll be able to link .gaim folders though, which will be nice.

jeff
        sdg