Compiled, installed, doesn't show up in list

Help
Karen
2005-04-07
2013-04-22
  • Karen
    Karen
    2005-04-07

I've got SuSE 9.1 installed.  I removed the provided GAIM since it was an older version, and successfully compiled and installed GAIM 1.21 from source and then successfully compiled gaim-encryption 2.35 and installed it from source.    The gaim-encryption plugin files are in with the rest of the plugins in /usr/local/lib/gaim.   However in GAIM > Preferences > Plugins, GAIM-Encryption is not in the list as it should be.  I'd appreciate any ideas for getting it to work.  Thanks.  KH 

• Bill Tompkins
      Bill Tompkins
      2005-04-07

Run gaim from the command line with the '-d' option.  On startup, you will see a lot of output as it scans the plugins directory, and an error message for why it didn't try to load encrypt.so.

-Bill

• Karen
        Karen
        2005-04-07

Hello!  Before I start, I have since then played with RPMs, so you'll notice my libs are now in a different place (/opt/gnome/lib/gaim).  Anyway, nothing changed. Here is the line that I think you'll be interested in:

plugins: /opt/gnome/lib/gaim/encrypt.so is unloadable: /opt/gnome/lib/gaim/encrypt.so: undefined symbol: gaim_br_thread_local_store

Thanks much!  Kh

• Karen
        Karen
        2005-04-07

I got it working on SuSE 9.1!

Basically, I uninstalled the RPMs, and I went back to installing GAIM and GAIM-Encryption my original way, from the source files.

For both GAIM and GAIM-Encryption, they had to be configured with the --with-gnu-ld option. 

For anyone else with SuSe 9.1, these configure options are _also_ necessary and are described here:
        http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1583.html
        --with-nss-includes=
        --with-nspr-includes=
        --with-nss-libs=
        --with-nspr-libs=

Maybe this helps others.  KH