Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Which NSS version?

Help
Jimmy Jim
2008-11-09
2013-04-22
  • Jimmy Jim
    Jimmy Jim
    2008-11-09

Hello,

I was just wondering. If I generate a new key, say a 2048 or 4096 bit key, I can see it uses NSS 1.0 while NSS 3.0 is already been released. Since I work on a Windows XP (sp3) I searched my system and I found different files called NSS3.dll.

The newest of 'em all is the one in my Mozilla Firefox directory. Others are in my Mozilla Thunderbird, OpenOffice and Pidgin directory. The one in the Pidgin directory is version v3.11.4.0.

Does that mean your wonderful plugin uses NSS 1.0 or NSS 3.11.4.0 ...or am I clearly oblivious of how this stuff works?

Thanks

• Bill Tompkins
      Bill Tompkins
      2008-11-12

Sorry, that dialog is a little confusing.  The plugin uses whichever NSS version that Pidgin is using, 3.11.4.0 in your case.

The "NSS 1.0" refers to the version of the Plugin's Encryption protocol (that is, the first one that uses NSS).  The plugin is written in a modular way to support multiple encryption methods, though in practice the "NSS 1.0" is the only one used.

-Bill

• Jimmy Jim
        Jimmy Jim
        2008-11-12

Okay.. as far as my little walnut dinosaur brain can comprehend, I wonder, as always..... how secure is it? I mean, does a 2048 bit key length really means there's a total of 2^2048 possible keys? So basically, unbreakable, since that's going take a "gazillion years"... if I'm not mistaken, even with todays distributed brute force projects!

I really really gotta be sure about this. ;-)

Thanks