Menu

Strange "X" Icon by all messages recently

Help
bdb4269
2008-01-16
2013-04-22
  • bdb4269

bdb4269 - 2008-01-16

I use pidgin-encryption 3.0 on windows XP with Pidgin 2.3.1.

Recently, I started getting these strange icons by every message, it's like a white square with a red "X".  (here is a mini screen shot of two messages) http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6995/iconssp3.jpg

It makes it look like maybe the encryption isn't working, but both the locks on the menu bar show as green. 

I can't seem to find any documentation as to what these icons mean. 

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

• Bill Tompkins

Bill Tompkins - 2008-01-18

Those should be "lock" icons, to indicate that the message was encrypted.  You can turn them off in the plugin preferences window (go to the plugins menu, click on "Pidgin-Encryption", and click "Configure Plugin".  Turn off the checkbox for "Show lock icon for each line of chat".

The problem is probably with the permissions (or maybe location) of the lock icon file.  I'll look at that option under windows to see if I can reproduce the problem.

-Bill

• bdb4269

bdb4269 - 2008-01-18

I see.  Thanx for the info.  If you could, please let me know what the file name is and where it should be located, so I can put something there/loosen the permission.

Thanx again for the info -- I was kinda worried it wasn't being encrypted even though the lock icons at the top where green -- but now I understand.

• Youngmug

Youngmug - 2008-03-01

As a note, this will happen on Windows if you upgrade Pidgin and have Pidgin-Encryption installed. The Pidgin uninstaller that runs before the upgrade wipes out the whole pixmaps directory where Pidgin-encryption also stores the images it uses. Reinstalling Pidgin-Encryption fixes the issue.

• bdb4269

bdb4269 - 2008-03-01

Sweet!  Thank you!  Solved the problem.  

As a side note: it does seem a tad misleading that picture of the lock icon, in questions, is red.  I mean, it is a closed lock, but it is red -- seems like it would make much more sense for it to be green, like the lock on the menu bar where you turn the encryption on.