Gaim-Encryption 3.0beta3 Feedback

hjheins
2006-01-25
2013-04-22
  • hjheins
    hjheins
    2006-01-25

Really nice!
    I like the new way of showing encryption!
    I also like the way to turn it on/off!

Keep up the good work!

Hendrik-Jan

• Bill Tompkins
      Bill Tompkins
      2006-01-26

As the Release Notes say, the UI will probably change a little before the final 3.0 release: the "Encrypt Outgoing Messages" menu item will probably turn into a lock icon in the menu bar (i.e. a button in the bar).  This will let it show the "capable" status again, which is hard to do with the check-box menu item.

I'm also leaning towards swapping the colors:  red meaning un-encrypted, green meaning encrypted, and making a yellow lock for capable but not encrypted.  Anyone who thinks this would be terrible should speak up now :)

-Bill

• Chris Eagan
        Chris Eagan
        2006-01-26

Rather than go with different color icons, might I suggest that you consider the icons used in Evolution for gpg encryption. The un-encrypted icon would be a gray version of the lock icon. This is the only one that does not yet exist in Evolution's icoon set. The encrypted icon would be the same lock icon in color (yellow). The encrypted but capable would be a broken lock.

You can see the icons I'm talking about on this page: http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=evo-menu

• hjheins
      hjheins
      2006-01-26

NO!

that doesn't sound terrible at all, me like :-D
      Alternatively: I do like the current location of the lock, so you could also leave it there... it's very easy to check the status, more obvious than in the icon bar.
      I like the color-idea!
      Maybe one more addition: the current version as an arrow pointing at the lock. Maybe you can change that to an arrow pointing to and pointing from the lock depending on whether the incomming or the outgoing message is encrypted (or not)...

Hendrik-Jan

• Jeff Brown
      Jeff Brown
      2006-01-27

Background:  I'm forced to use Windows when on a customer site (but I can run gaim, so I can't complain too much) so I'm in the habit of copying my .gaim folder to/from my linux partition. 

Issue: I noticed today after trying out gaim2.0beta and your awesome plugin (Many thanks, BTW) that it no longer handles that well.  The issue was that it seems to keep the full path in the plugin settings, so now I have to change C:\...\.gaim to /home/.../.gaim in the configuration.

Is this operator error, a new "feature" or something else?

jeff
      sdg

• Bill Tompkins
        Bill Tompkins
        2006-02-21

Yes, it is a "feature", specifically the way that the plugin now allows you to specify the location of your key files.  I'll try to fix this up a bit better for the next release.

• Jeff Brown
      Jeff Brown
      2006-01-27

In hindsight, this probably should have been a separate thread.  Sorry.

jeff
      sdg

• Darakian
      Darakian
      2006-03-02

Any chance you can add in (fix?) the ability to have default encryption on for select buddies?

• Bill Tompkins
        Bill Tompkins
        2006-03-03

It is working in CVS (for me, at any rate), so it should be working in the 3.0 release.

-Bill