Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Gaim-Encryption 3.0beta4 Feedback

Eric
2006-03-17
2013-04-22
  • Eric
    Eric
    2006-03-17

I really like the new version. Do you have a features roadmap or a TODO file of what you have planned or would like to add to the plugin?

• hjheins
      hjheins
      2006-03-21

I have to agree with hiware.
      I really like this version!
      it seems to be more stable (less encryption errors), and I like the new gui/enable disable.

• Bill Tompkins
      Bill Tompkins
      2006-03-22

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

At this point I really don't have enough time to do much more than maintenance.  Several things I would like to add are mostly in the Feature Requests list.  Off the top of my head:

1) Password-based encryption of private keys.  This wouldn't be too hard to implement, actually... it is mostly a matter of getting the UI right.

2) Split the plugin into Gaim/GTK frontend plugin and a library backend, that could be used with other IM clients.  This would be a fair amount of work, but would be a very good thing, I think.

3) Protocol changes:  Move to using ECC-DH/MQV to strengthen the encryption, decrease key sizes and overhead, and add forward secrecy.  Even better (and harder), add multi-party key agreement to do chat-room encryption in a sensible way.

Unfortunately, this is more of a wish list than a TODO at this point, just owing to lack of time.

-Bill