Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Best software for an online glossary?

brookPT
2010-09-29
2013-05-20
  • brookPT
    brookPT
    2010-09-29

Hi guys! I'm new here (just registered today!) but I'm familiar with SF for a long time :) I work in a company that wants to include some online glossaries in their website. They should have multimedia support (images, videos, text, etc), a "term of the day" section, they should be easy to expand (it'll be a continuously growing DB of terms) and to add other languages. I'm thinking of two or three languages first, but with the possibility of adding a couple more. I know absolutely nothing about databases. I just want my company to start using OSS that's easy to use, which means that any employee should easily be able to access the DB and add a couple of terms, with two or three translations and maybe an image or a video.

is there any kind of OPEN SOURCE software that could help us with that?

• brookPT
    brookPT
    2010-10-04

Keep in mind that this software should be really easy to use. It should be something like an SDL Multiterm glossary..
    please help out :(

• Anonymous
    2010-10-05

I would suggest using wiki software. I use it for an online resource manual. There should be a few available on this site.

• brookPT
    brookPT
    2010-10-06

Hey thanks! Do you think it'll be easy to use for people who have no knowledge on any type of programming language?
    I'm sure the wiki software you're mentioning should be really useful for a project like this, but I don't get what type os software are we talking about.. Could anyone give me an example of wiki software that could be used specifically for creating a glossary?
    Thanks !

• Anonymous
    2010-10-11

If you can get it installed on a Windows or Linux web server, the maintenance is pretty simple. Some wikis don't even need a database. The down side is each wiki differs some what on how they want to mark up the text.