Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Helpful feedback concerning new re-write.

speut
2007-09-11
2013-05-20
  • speut
    speut
    2007-09-11

running a couple of fairly complex sites in phpwebsite.  I have notice 1.2.0 is missing a great deal of the functionality that 10.2 had. 

The ability to made menus anonymous or not.  This is nice to show a menu only when a user logs in.
    A private menu only users see so to speak.  That is gone now.  Not good.

Also The themes are pretty terrible but I'm sure folks will correct those in time.  No biggy.

Also that annoying home block with nothing but a home link.  If it's not the main menu?  What is its
    purpose? It displays the control panel and exit prompts after you login.  After you log out.  Why not just keep it one login box like 10.2.

The interface is very confusing compared to the 10.2.  Users hate it now.  I've noticed they get very confused in understanding it compared to 10.2.

Where is the links module?

The blog should be replaced with forums again.  Forums were much better.

• > Helpful feedback concerning new re-write.

I think we have different definitions of the word "helpful" but let's dig in.

> The ability to made menus anonymous or not. This is nice to show a menu only when a user logs in.
      > A private menu only users see so to speak. That is gone now. Not good.

Make an RFE for a logged user menu switch. The new menu will not show a link to a restricted item (blog, web page, calendar event) and you can link menus to specific items. 0.10.x could not do that. I think it is also far easier to create a link than the old way.

> so The themes are pretty terrible but I'm sure folks will correct those in time. No biggy.

Designing is not my focus. If I had time to design themes, I would love to. We won't get good themes until more people hop on board.

> Also that annoying home block with nothing but a home link. If it's not the main menu?
      Pardon?

> The interface is very confusing compared to the 10.2.

The old interface is five years old. People will be confused by new things. I disagree regardless. I can show how to create edit and delete a menu link far easier than with the old system. Putting a folder of files on a page, blog entry, etc. is easier than running people through Documents. Where people have complained, I've tried to oblige.

> Where is the links module?

Wasn't a priority for the rewrite and the university. Either someone will write it 3rd party or we'll put a student on it as a first module.

> The blog should be replaced with forums again. Forums were much better.

Do you mean Announcements? phpWebSite has phpwsbb but I'm not sure how it relates to Blog.

• Eloi George
      Eloi George
      2007-09-11

> The interface is very confusing compared to the 10.2.  Users hate it now.  I've
      noticed they get very confused in understanding it compared to 10.2.

Confused how?

Please give specifics on what users are thinking or experiencing when using the software.  It's the only way that things can get fixed.

>Where is the links module?
      >The blog should be replaced with forums again. Forums were much better.

Now that the core modules have been done, the 3rd-party modules will soon appear as time allows.  If you need them done more quickly, you can offer to pay for the module.  Interested developers will contact you.

• speut
      speut
      2007-09-20

ok.  First off.  Let me apologize for the way that may have sounded.  My fault.  I have to learn to write differently than I talk which I assure you does not come off like that.  People have a tendency to cling to me for not making them feel like idiots and being helpful instead of ignoring there problems.  It's a treat for them to meet an admin like that for a change.

Secondly, I'm a 50/50 city boy/hillbilly (Illinois/ North Caronlina) folk.  Odd I agree.  But I loved the fact that Appalachian state was finally getting on the Map through this software as well as your football team romping on folks the last few years.

No dis-respect.  This is a LOT of work I understand.  And a good job for sure.

Thirdly,  The rest.  And I realize it is very early in the game for 1.X version.  I'm just throwing it out there for consideration.  You may have you reasons for doing so while looking at the code.  I agree.

By confusing I mean things like.  The box positioning which even has been throwing me for a loop as well as others from what I am reading.  Too many options.  Maybe there is a reason but no documentation easily found so playing is the quickest learning method at this point.

Left , right, up ,down.  Folks understand.  Restore to default?  Send to bottom as apposed to Move to bottom?  Confusing.  Reset boxes?  Reset what?

Boxes overlap the templates.  I still don't know about phpwsbb?  Where is that?  No module by that name in 1.3.0 that I can find.  Folks seem to want that back as well.  Great for little projects and issues to collaborate on.  Like a forum.  You mentioned phpwsbb in here somewhere.  Where is that?

It's very possible (done it twice)  to use layout and box positioning to position yourself right into having nothing on the screen at all and have to re-install because there is no control panel anymore.

Not a biggy again.  But I get a lot of "How do we put our company logo on the top?"  They seem to all think you can upload an image with a browse button or something.  Most cms's do that.  Phpwebsite cannot as far as I know.  You pretty much just hack the templates and themes.

When I turn folks onto phpwebsite they just seem to roll their eyes and move on to another with most claims being it's too complicated to use.  When I show them 10.2 they seem to like it more but the permissions to objects issue comes up.

My point?  Just feedback. How do you sell (popularity) software or even donuts?  People like it or don't.

Kind of like Sun Microsystems.  How does a company with JAVA, OPEN OFFICE, A very stable corporate version of Unix and Lots of toys to go with it become the next SCO?  Personally I think a few commercials would have helped for sure.  No one knows.  No commercials.  Everyone knows IBM.  They have a commercial every ten minutes. Any one really better than the other?  Nope.  Sun actually has a lot more stuff in the end.

Anyway.  I'm digging into it and with you on it. Don't know if I'll have time to re-write the page name mod anytime soon.  (Changed individual page names on internet so spiders can pick them up with individual names.)  company wanted it for google ads.  Though it would get em more hits.  Kinda did.