Login Failed

Help
2007-06-07
2013-06-11
  • Hi, 

I am posting the same message as separate thread.

I am having a very peculiar problem. We have two identical servers. What I mean is they have the same hardware resources and same operating system(SLES 10). I installed postgres 8.1.4 and phpPgAdmin 4.1.2 on both machines. Both have the same data and same users with the same passwords. One machine acts as stand by to the other. On one machine (othello), I was able to login using phpPgAdmin and do all the usual stuff. But on the standby machine (hector), when I tried to login using phpPgAdmin I am getting simple "Login failed" message. There is no entry about this failed login in logs. 

So, as you suggested in one of the messages removed the @ in libraries/adodb/drivers/adodb-postgres64.inc.php to get more info. But no new entries in log file. I even copied the pg_hba.conf and config.inc.php from othello to hector and tried again. But it is still the same problem. I also checked all the php and postgres packages on both machines, they are the same ones. This is really puzzling and have no clue anymore where else to look. 

Any help is highly appreciated. 

Cheers,
    Samatha 

• Hi,

The problem is solved but I do not know how I fixed it. I found in one of earlier posts that one was able to login by setting $conf['servers'][0]['host'] = ''; in config.inc.php file. So, I did the same it worked. After successfull login I again entered the hostname and tried again. Interestingly, it worked just like that !!

I simply wasted one day on this funny thing.

Cheers,
      Samatha

• Hi,

It is driving me crazy. It is again is not working. As long as I leave the $conf['servers'][0]['host'] = ''; empty it is working.

Samatha

• Robert Treat
      Robert Treat
      2007-06-10

Is your phppgadmin installed on one of the database servers?  iirc $conf['servers'][0]['host'] = '' signifies to use local domain sockets, whereas using = 'localhost' means to use the tcpip socket, which could produce a login failure on one and not the other depending on how things are configured. It is pretty mysterious that removing the @ doesn't emit some type of error message... are you sure your looking in the right logs? maybe change it to dump errors to screen?  HTH