Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Template Engines

Developers
2006-03-27
2012-09-19
  • Simon Booth
    Simon Booth
    2006-03-27

Hi

One of the parts of pmf I have always been least happy with has been the presentation. As I start work on version 2 (!!!) I want to implement some kind of template engine to allow installations to have more control over their look and feel.

I have seen a few around, but what are your favourites and why?

Simon

• darkstar3d
      darkstar3d
      2007-07-15

I agree with Carolyn, phpNuke is not the way to go. I don't have any experience on any framework so no help there.

Michael, if you are having issues with CSS, check out Style Master (http://www.westciv.com/style_master/). ALL my CSS issues are gone, and you can see the changes as you update it.

• Michael Coyle
      Michael Coyle
      2006-04-26

My preference would be towards a theme format that resembled phpnuke, one that relies more on HTML blocks than on CSS.

In phpnuke, there is a header, footer, and then files for BLOCKS of content. CSS is only used to define text styles.

Other CMS rely more heavily on CSS and while I consider myself pretty good at this stuff, CSS when used for themes gets so complicated I can't make heads-or-tails out of it. This means A LOT of trial and error as I try to decipher what the codes control.

Thanks for the work and if you need a beta tester you can find me at:

http://www.coylefamily.com/phpfamily/ ;-)

Good Luck!
      Michael

• I just ook a look at PHP-NUKE and I totally DISagree! The PHP-NUKE interface breaks down very quickly when font size changes are required. Using tables for layout is a lousy way to set up a page.

I would prefer if the interface is table-free, except when displaying tabular data. CSS for page structure, overall styling, and yes - text styles.

Using php, it is easy to break files apart into header, footer, left column, middle column, right column, and even handle source ordering for search engines. Ruthsarian's skidoo-redux is a great example of a three column layout, that even hides the side menus from printers. wordpress does a good job of breaking the code into seperate files, if you need/want an example of that.

Thanks, Carolyn