Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

pmf v2.0 modules

Developers
2007-12-08
2012-09-19
  • Simon Booth
    Simon Booth
    2007-12-08

Hi

One of the things I am keen to implement in v2.0 is a modular approach. There has been quite a bit of talk regarding people not wanting census data, or people wanting maps. I think the easiest way to do this would be to have modules that could be switched on and off by the site admin. So as a starter for 10, these are the modules that I think should be in the package (in no particular order)

1. Core (births/deaths/marriages/relationships)
    2. Themes (allow the easy introduction of themes based on style sheets)
    3. Census data
    4. Image gallery (with some improvements to allow linking to multiple people and storing data as BLOBS)
    5. RSS feeds
    6. Document transcripts (with improvements per Image Gallery)
    7. pedigree
    8. GEDCOM (the most requested enhancement)
    9. Reserch "blog" (either per person, or per user, or both)
    10. Translations

What else am I missing? idwright has suggested embedding maps which I think is a good idea, but not necessarily core as would require registering with external sites.

Let me know what would be popular...

Simon

• keesd
      keesd
      2007-12-11

Here are my 2 cents

Introduce Profession, Source, Address as they are very important in genealogy

Document collections: Show proper formatted Scans of Documents with or without Transcriptions, Fully commented Family photo's, Photo's and/or maps of ancestors Residents/houses, Movies, Grave stones with trancriptions of the stone, etc.. This is a bit complement to the known documents (which visitors will not download) but these collections must show instantly. This also could reduce the importance of the image gallery so that there is only one image per person that is shown on the top of the page.

Never show fields that say "no information". So if there is no date don't say it is something like 0000-00-00, if there is no narrative don't show narrative with an empty block, etc.

Presentation of dates: including date description. A date should be represented by a description like ABT, EST, BEF, AFT etc. because it is not always possible to obtain exact dates. Add the day of the week to the date using the calender function, Presentation should look then something like: Thuesday March 3rd 1734

Make in possible to change birthday into baptising day when there is a known baptising day and not a birthday, the same is for burialday instead of deceased day.

Introduce the death-place, change death reason into further details to show after the deathplace separated by a semicolon

Introduce several kinds of relations, Marriage, Living together, Bethrothal, etc. etc. with possibilities of local variations. E.g. For many marriages I only have the date the wedding tax was paid, without paying this tax it was impossible to marry, the real marriage was between 10 days and 1/2 year after the tax was paid, but when the certificates to prove the marriage went lost in burns or floodings the tax date is the only thing to go on.

Relations will end, recording the end of relations with date, place and reason/details (Simon already started this, he only has to finish it)

Introduce a HTML editor for the narrative field (source (clickable web adresses!), profession(several lines) and address(several lines)) to create proper formatted text instead of a text sausage.

Obey local legislation about privacy. E.G. the legislation about privacy in my country is very strict: births 100 years, marriages: 75 years, death: 50 years, but in a death cerificate age and parents are mentioned so after 50 years all can be published but the parents details (obviously not their names) could be restricted if the deceased person died early. (Important if we want translations we must meet other then US rules)

In the future it must be possible to create a book from the collected data.

I would gladly see some restriction for logged in users, say a set op ancestors from a person. The user then can only see and edit and create persons within the field he is allowed to.
      Introduce more control over users. Recording last editor, creator(created the record and is the owner until his/her account looses validity), owner(he is the only one who can edit that record).

(in another layout, most of these items can be examined at http://www.dommis.nl/phpmyfamily)

Kees

• Ian Wright
      Ian Wright
      2007-12-11

Hi,
      Modules is a good idea.
      A few ideas - I won't take credit for all of these as some have been mentioned elsewhere by other people.

A places module would be necessary for maps to work well (need to be able to edit if lookup doesn't work/goes wrong) and could be done without needing to register with an external site. For a full impl. needs to be fairly core as ideally would be integrated with birth/marriage/death/burial/other places.

External links - point to other web sites containing info about people (possibly including something special for familysearch.org)

Notes - a note that can contain a place and date

Wills - a special case for document transcripts (?) which allows for linking to benefactors/places

Certificates - a core/census/transcripts enhancement to allow certificates to be attached for a particular event e.g. image of birth/marriage/census record

Reports - I'm sure there are lots of examples of reports which people would find useful e.g. missing dates

An admin module to control all this stuff without having to edit config files

Personally I don't like storing images as blobs I don't really see an advantage and it complicates things but good idea to allow images to be attached to multiple people - suggest also allow for images not attached to any person

More technically and not something that a user would see.... - a database module to control all database access - changes to the database need to be tightly controlled so could be done through this mechanism while allowing other people to work on the control/presentational side of things.

Regards,
      Ian