Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Mohamed Ashraf: Weekly update #7 [22/7-28/7]

The task this week was simple. It was to submit bugs to the sourceforge bugtracker. I had already spent a long time trying to get an authentication token in an earlier week. I was able to use this authentication token this week to submit error reports.

Sourceforge uses OAuth V1 which was much more complicated than V2. I was able to use a component created for OAuth V1 for cakephp. I wrote my own component specifically for sourceforge api, similar to the one I did for github. It allows most of the logic to be out from the controller so that it is much simpler.

Since I noticed there is a lack of components relating to apis for cakephp, I wanted to to release them on a separate repo to help others who may need to do what I did. The components I created were a bit specific, not in a way that they can only be used on phpmyadmin or my project, but in that I only implemented the parts of the api I needed. The api is pretty big and while most of the functions are not specific to phpmyadmin, they do not come close to covering a large portion of the api.

Anyway I created code to allow me to get authentication tickets in the future for any application and user credentials so that when the deployment time comes I can easily generate proper credentials other than the ones I was using for testing.

I also finished the line number translator in the phpmyadmin repo. I went with a much cheaper way than what I originally planned. It works great I just have to make it more resilient incase the line count cache file is missing.

Next week is one of the hardest tasks not because of too much coding is required but because I will be dealing with hypotheticals. I am expected to find some sort of measure to group reports together that is as accurate as possible with no way to test it in the wild. There are a million ways it can go wrong and I wouldn’t know until we actually deploy and test it.

I will be trying out the different ways a stacktrace can appear (it changes depending on how the code containing the exception was loaded). I will try to find some way to group them without alienating too many similar reports. We will see how it goes.


link

Posted by SourceForge Robot 2013-07-28