Why BOM check before Adding New Language

• ralphbk

In 3.2.1, on the "Edit and Configure Language File" page, I note you have to do a "Language File BOM Check" before the "Add files and settings for a new language" sections appears.  This appears to be undocumented and non-intuitive.  Is it intentional?

• John Finlay
      John Finlay

The BOM Check was added because many translators would submit language updates with the UTF-8 Byte Order Mark (BOM) included in the files.  PHP does not like the BOM in the files and will produce errors.  This check allows tranlators to look for the BOM before they submit files back to the project.

I don't know that any real thought has been put into the positions of the different elements on that page.   There are probably many things that should be reorganized.

• ralphbk

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.  Glad to hear that there _is_ a technical reason for doing the check.  Maybe the docs could be updated accordingly.

I was just trying to following the advce you gave another user a couple of months ago (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1161957&forum_id=294245) where you said:
        you must first login to PhpGedView as an administrator and go to the Language Edit Utitility by clicking on "Admin-> Edit and configure language files". At the bottom of that page is an option to Add a new language. Choose your language from the dropdown list and click on the "Add new Language" button.

Of course, as I discovered, you actually need to do the BOM check _before_ the "Add a new Language" section appears at the bottom of the page.

This caused me some considerable head-scratching before I consulted the ultimate documention (the PHP source code) to work out what was going on.

Anyhow, thanks again for the response.

Best regards, Ralph.