Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Spanish update

2009-03-13
2013-05-29
  • Wes Groleau
    Wes Groleau
    2009-03-13

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2685865&group_id=55456&atid=477082

Most of these changes are for shared notes.  I am not a native speaker, so if Julio is still interested, feel free to polish it up.

Also, I missed some of the changes.

• Sorry if I made you think I have stopped maintaining the translation.  I follow SVN closely and update the strings with little delay.  What I don't do is send the changes everytime, I try to accumulate changes and release a snapshot as close as possible to a PGV release to minimize the work of producing the changed file set, upload to the tracker, someone unpacking it, committing it, etc.  I try to economize effort. The risk is that I may miss a release, it has happened before.  My site usually contains the latest translation, but even that is not always true.

So your changes very likely duplicate work already done.  On the other hand, you are very welcome to take over translation.  I have always kept my own translation and offered it to everyone a couple of years ago when it was obvious that nobody was maintaining the official translation.  If someone takes over, I will return to keep my own translation quietly as I did before.

Regards,

Julio

• Gerry Kroll
      Gerry Kroll
      2009-03-13

Wes:
      Please let Julio continue to handle Spanish translations.  As far as I can tell, the quality of his work is excellent.  Now, if you could convince someone to update Russian or Greek or even Italian -- that's different.

Julio:
      It's really not much trouble to upload new files to SVN as you make them available.  You can ask Greg to add you to the official translator/developer list and get permission to upload to SVN directly.

• I am familiar with SVN, I have, or have had, write access on other SF projects either with cvs or svn.

I agree that this would be best.

W.r.t. translation help, it is always welcome, by what is really helpful is to receive comments on specific usages or word choices explaining why they are not acceptable and where in the world, what alternatives exist that might be used, etc.

This way I can add this info to the translation guide, so that I know in the future why some choice was made and what alternatives have been determined to be bad.  Otherwise, if the chosen word is not my favourite, I might replace it at any later time without even thinking about it.

Because translating takes time, but the hard part is taking decisions.  Sometimes they require checking all uses in PGV of some word to see if the candidate translation works in all contexts or whether more than one word is needed and how to tell one case from the other.  Because, at the same time, in software documentation you want consistency in the terms used, something that is not required in other contexts or may even be bad style.

• Wes Groleau
      Wes Groleau
      2009-03-14

I am not interested in pushing out a native speaker to do it myself.

I did not know he was "saving them up."  I just saw the difference between 4887 and 5216 and figured I should do something.

However, regarding "translation help, it is always welcome," I can still suggest putting the accent marks on quite a few instances of "carácteres" y "carácter"

• I am now a developer, so updating the translation is now simpler and I can do it directly without a packaging step.  This will help users of the SVN version, these were not getting timely updates.

W.r.t. to "carácter" thank you for the tip.  As for the plural, the stress changes position and thus, loses the accent mark.  Though I've heard your version in spoken Spanish, it's not commonly seen in written form. I'd go with the explanation in the Diccionario Panhispánico de Dudas:

http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=car%C3%A1cter

I think it is the result of careless speech or maybe ignorance.  You must take into account that this word did not get much use in general colloquial speech until the advent of personal computers so many speakers have not been educated on its usage.

I have found one instance of singular "caracter" that will be fixed.

• Wes Groleau
      Wes Groleau
      2009-03-24

Yes, I was mistaken.  More detail is at

http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=plural  (scroll down to section 2.1)

I don't feel too bad missing one of only three exceptions to an otherwise predictable pattern!

I did see another typo, but I'm not sure which file it is in: " seleccioanr "

Speaking of personal computers, I was amused to read the following at wordreference.com:

> Oops, no lo sabía. Me acuerdo que cuando estudiaba mecanografía en el secundario, el profesor
      > nos explicaba que la máquina escribe caracteres y que no teníamos que confundir con el carácter,
      > porque eso estaba más bien asociado a la personalidad. A veces, hasta los profesores son ignorantes.

I got a kick out of this one, because I think the professor is correct:  We can easily see from numerous electronic sources that la máquina no escribe carácter (ni máquina ni mecanografía), sino caracter (y maquina y mecanografia).

• Thanks for the tip, it is hard to catch these things.  I have corrected this and a few other typos.  I should try to spell check everything.  I'll see what I can do.

• Wes Groleau
    Wes Groleau
    2010-03-27

gedcom_downloadable: "hef" debe ser "href"

• Wes Groleau
    Wes Groleau
    2010-03-27

editor.en.php:$pgv_lang = "Decide for each change to either accept or reject it.<br /><br />To accept all changes at once, click <b>\"Accept all changes\"</b> in the box below.<br />To get more information about a change,<br />click <b>\"View change diff\"</b> to see the differences,<br />or click <b>\"View GEDCOM record\"</b> to see the new data in GEDCOM format.";
    editor.es.php:$pgv_lang = "Para rechazar un cambio, seleccione el vínculo Deshacer.  Para aceptar todos los cambios de un Gedcom, reimportar el archivo de nuevo.";

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2010-03-27

Thank you. 

I've corrected the error in admin.es.php, but the error in editor.es.php will need to be done by someone else.

• Thanks for catching the accept_gedcom problem, it is a very old translation that was never updated and by now was not appropriate.