Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Hard-coded hebrew month names

Greg Roach
2006-12-01
2013-05-29
  • Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2006-12-01

I've noticed that the names of the hebrew months are hard-coded with their english versions.

I've found this page http://www.geonames.de/months2.html#jew which lists translations for the hebrew months into various languages, and was considering moving the text to the language files.

These is a slight complication - there are actually two sets of hard-coded month names, a second one exists for the ashkenaz pronunciation.  Since I don't want to break anything that is already working(!), can someone tell me a bit more about ashkenaz pronunciation.

Firstly, it is a per gedcom setting - should it be a per-user setting?
    Secondly, does it apply to non-english versions of the month names?
    Thirdly, does it need extending to apply to anything other than month names?

Thanks,  Greg

• KosherJava
      KosherJava
      2006-12-03

As a Hebrew and English speaker I have to say that I do not agree with the way the the months are spelled in different languages (English particularly). The crash course in the pronunciation is that there are 2 basic pronunciations in Hebrew. The Ashkenizic pronunciation is the pronunciation of Hebrew used by most eastern European Jews (France and west), while Jews from the middle east, Spain and Africa (and modern Hebrew used in Israel today) use a Sephardic pronunciation. It is a matter of the heritage etc, and should probably remain a GEDCOM config. I can't imagine a user wanting to tweak this. The translations might make sense for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, but since I developed the code for version 2.0.x, there has never been a request for support in other languages. I suppose that there might be some benefit to it, but any site that uses the dual Hebrew and Gregorian dates as I do will run into an issue if they are in the language files. It would mean that the Hebrew language file would have to be loaded for any language to render dual dates. In short I am not sure it is worth the pain.

• Greg Roach
      Greg Roach
      2006-12-03

Hi Kosherjava - thanks for the reply.

<<I do not agree with the way the the months are spelled in different languages>>

Surely this is an argument *for* moving the text to the language files?

<<It is a matter of the heritage etc, and should probably remain a GEDCOM config>>

I don't follow this.  If it is a matter of heritage, shouldn't it be a USER setting?  Or are you saying that there is little mixing between the two different cultures, and hence your audience is likely to be entirely one or the other?

<<It would mean that the Hebrew language file would have to be loaded for any language to render dual dates.>>

I don't follow this either.  I'd just be moving the definitons from functions_dates_hebrew.php to one of its include files (e.g. lang.en.php) and picking them up from pgv_lang[].

<<In short I am not sure it is worth the pain.>>

You could be right here - especially if I'm changing code that affects a language I can't read ;-)

Greg