Chinese Languages

Bin Zhang
  • Bin Zhang
    Bin Zhang

I am new to PGV.  I noticed that Traditional Chinese is there, but I don't see Simplified Chinese.  How would I go about adding Simplified Chinese?  What files do I need to create?

• John Finlay
      John Finlay

You just need to create new lang, configure_help, helpt_text, and facts files in the languages folders for the simplified Chinese and start translating the values in them.

To get the files to show up in the language menus, you need to add an entry for simplified Chinese to the lang_settings_std.php file.

When you start translating the values, you need to use an editor that can save the files in the UTF-8 character set.

• Bin Zhang
      Bin Zhang

Sorry for taking so long to respond... 

Thanks John.  I have been playing with the simplified Chinese for a while.  I don't know if I did right.  The Chinese came with PGV is traditional Chinese.  It uses zh as the language code.  zh should be for all Chinese variations, not just for traditional Chinese characterset...

I was going to change lang_settings_std.php, but stopped by the warning in the file against the editing of the file manually...

This is what I did:

In lang_codes_std.php file,  I added a line:

$lng_codes["zh"]    = array("Chinese", "China");
      $lng_codes["zh-cn"]    = array("Chinese (PRC)", "China");

The first line was there, I added the second line.

Is this the right way to do it?

• Gerry Kroll
      Gerry Kroll

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Do you mean that you require two different versions of the Chinese language files to be available to your users?  If all Chinese users would be satisfied with replacing the existing Traditional Chinese files with the equivalent Simplified Chinese, that shouldn't be a problem.

• Bin Zhang
      Bin Zhang

Thanks, Gerry!

I assume zh covers all variations of Chinese text.  There are two different writing systems of Chinese, I assume zh covers both of them.  zh-CN is primarily used in mainland China.  It is usually referred to as Simplified Chinese (GB3212 was the original characterset).  The other one is called Traditional Chinese, and is used pretty much everywhere else (Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Chinese communities in western countries).  The original characterset was Big5.  The language code can be zh-TW, zh-HK, and maybe others (I am not aware any difference among them).  The "Chinese (zh)" came with PGV is the traditional Chinese.  I needed to add simplified Chinese.  So I added zh-cn as shown above my original posting.  I was not sure if it is the right way to do it, since comment in lang_settings_std.php states that I should not manually change that file...

On the differet note, has anyone have any success in printing PDF reports with Chinese or other non-roman names?  I have not been able to do so with Chinese.  I assume it has something to do with fonts used in generating PDF files.  All I got in PDF reports are garbled text (English text are all okay).  The same happens with circle charts.  All Chinese characters become squares.  I filed a bug report for over two weeks, but have not seen any action taken, nor have I seen any response...

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide