Bad seperation between words

Bodo
2011-03-09
2013-05-29
  • Bodo
    Bodo
    2011-03-09

I have in the German version problem to distinguish between the word "Pate" und "Pate". In English is this possible because there are the word "Godfather" and "Godparents" used. Please correct the German translation in the follwing way:  "Pate" for the English "Godfather" and "Paten" for the English "Godparents".
    By the way, its the correct German. Please see the PDF link to see the Form
    http://ahnen-schade.de/querlesen/Pate_Paten.pdf
    I hope You can fix this small thing
    Bodo

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-03-09

The English is "Godparent" - singular, and meaning that the gender of the person is not known.

If you wanted to have this in German, you would have to use the expression "Pate -in" or "Pate/Patin".  It's generally accepted that when the gender is not known, it's OK to use the masculine form.  This is MUCH less ugly than either of the preceding expressions.

However, if want to implement this on your site, you need to create (or update) a file "languages/extra.de.php".  Do NOT make a change to file "languages/lang.de.php".  If you're creating a new file, it would contain these three lines:

<?php
    $pgv_lang = "Pate/Patin";
    ?>

• Bodo
    Bodo
    2011-03-11

Hello
    I guess we have here a general missunderstanding. I have no idea, why its required and ugly to produce a translation mistakes. If Your data are switched between English and German You may get a different result. Of course very mostly You know the gender of a person, but I have in Your German form no change to select the right one, because I do not know which one I should select. This is the point of my request. If you never switch between language, okay don't care, but if you may have to do so, You have only in the English version the chance to enter the correct value, in the German You must guess the correct input.  So I think You should give German speaking people a chance to enter the right value ugly or not. It is for me not a good police to enter data which are afterwards misunderstandably and since the big dicussion about discrimination of females I would not agree anymore that it's accepted in a case of unkown gender to use the masculine form. Also it's usefull to use "Patin/Pate" and not opposite. Life has changed here.
    Best regards
    Bodo

• Bodo
    Bodo
    2011-03-11

Hi

I mean no chance, not no change.

Bodo