Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

New translator - guidelines

2004-10-15
2013-05-29
  • Hello, I am willing to undertake the Greek translation. Is there someone who can help me with guidelines, processes, etc?

thanks

• John Finlay
      John Finlay
      2004-10-15

There is some information in the Languages section of the readme.txt file, but I just reviewed this and it is horribly out of date.  Here is the revised information.

Before beginning the translation, you should use the latest files from v3.2 beta 3 or from the CVS.

--John

======================================
      To translate PhpGedView in another language that is not currently supported you must
      first login to PhpGedView as an administrator and go to the Language Edit Utitility by
      clicking on "Admin-> Edit and configure language files". At the bottom of that page is
      an option to Add a new language.  Choose your language from the dropdown list and click
      on the "Add new Language" button.  A popup window will appear that allows you to edit
      the default settings for your language.  Each of the settings has online help available
      by clicking on the "?".  You might want to look at the settings for some of the other
      Languages on the edit language page to see how they are setup.  When you are finished
      editing the settings, click the save button.  This will create a new lang_settings.php
      file in the index directory.  You will notice that your language now appears in the
      supported languages list. 

Next create a copy of the "lang.en.php", "facts.en.php", "configure_help.en.php" and
      "help_text.en.php" files located in the "./languages/" and change the "en" part to match
      the two letter language code of your language.  The "facts" file contains all of
      the translations for the various GEDCOM tag such as BIRT = Birth.  The "lang" file contains
      all of the language variables used throughout the site.  The "configure_help.en.php" and
      "help_text.en.php" provide configuration and help instructions.

You can translate these files using the online Language File Edit Utility.  Just select your
      language from the drop-down list and then select the file you want to edit and click the edit
      button.  Your file will be compared to the English language file so that you can easily
      translate the files online.

You may also translate these files manually by opening them in any text editor.  If you manually
      edit the files, then you should be sure to save them in the UTF-8 character set.  Some text
      editors like "Notepad" adds a 3 byte Byte-Order-Mark (BOM) to files it saves in UTF-8.  PHP
      does not like the BOM and it should be removed before testing the files in PhpGedView.

You should obtain a flag file from http://w3f.com/gifs/index.html and size it to match the
      other flags in the images/flags directory.

To help maintain languages a language change log is provided in the languages directory
      named LANG_CHANGELOG.txt. 

If you make a new translation of PhpGedView or update another translation, and would like
      to contribute it to the community then post your language files and your
      index/lang_settings.php file to a new Patch in the Patches settion of the sourceforge project
      site at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview

• Thanks! I will take a crack at a Greek translation as soon as I can get my Greek gedcom to work with the Mysql version of phpgedview (I have a related posting in the help forum - perhaps you can help).

One question - is there a recommended size for the flag icon?

Nick