Centralized Web Translations

2011-03-30
2013-05-29
  • Velociraptor
    Velociraptor
    2011-03-30

HI!
    i just thought that it would be great if someone of the admins or devs would open or think about centralized/generalized translations via Pootle for instance.
    This would in my opinion enhance the overall quality of the translations.

Furthermore i would suggest to rethink the file tree of the translations files.

Anyhow great software with some open bugs but in this dimension i guess thats normal :)

Awaiting some constructive reactions ;)
    B/R
    V

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-03-30

There is already an interface to Google Translate. 

Unfortunately, no amount of fancy computer programming can ever replace the innate knowledge of a given target language's intricacies and complexities that a native speaker of that language possesses.  Ideally, the translator should be fully fluent not only in the target language but also in the original language, which is normally English.  This means that computer translation can only be used as a starting point, to provide hints to a human translator.

In other words, all computer translations must of necessity be checked for quality, accuracy, and adherence to the meaning of the original text.  We're just not yet ready to blindly accept the results of computer translations unless we just don't care about quality.

Part of the problem is also that quite a few PhpGedView texts, particularly in the Help system, contain formatting instructions that will definitely get lost or be corrupted by machine translations.

You also mention that consideration should be given to restructuring the file tree of the language files.  Exactly what do you have in mind here?  I agree that the current system isn't perfect.

• Velociraptor
    Velociraptor
    2011-03-31

1) Pootle is to my knowledge not a automated translation software which I also havent in mind but a possibility to let people of the community help in translating an project.
    It is nice to be able to translate your own website(build in function) and perhaps even upload it to the project but with more people be able to translate it via a web interface directly on SF or another hosted website it would, IMHO, be an gain for the project.
    Maybe later also a function in the Admin web interface could be added to download a translated language from SF or where ever to the own server.

2) Regarding the tree i was thinking of an language/<code>/<filename>.php structure where code should be EN, DE, IT or something similar(ISO 639) as example so it would be easier to delete or add an language.
    Current system with language/<filename>.<code>.php is not very clear.

-besides that i hope you can understand my not that perfect English ;)

cheers V

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-03-31

1) - As I already explained, there is a Google Translate interface already built into the Language File Edit utility.  This utility is accessed from the Admin menu, Translator tools option.  The "languages" directory and its contents must have 777 permission to use any of the translator tools.  It's advisable to work on language files with a copy of PGV that's not visible to the Internet.

The Google Translate option available when you are editing a language variable that isn't already translated.  A problem with this implementation is that the Google translation is not immediately accessible for further manual changes - you have to edit the language file a second time.  The Google Translate option is not available when a given language variable is already translated.  In this case, you can only edit the variable manually.

I don't see much point in implementing additional interfaces to other translation engines.

2)  I agree that such a directory structure makes a lot of sense.  I'll look into this, since I've also been thinking along these lines.