Upgraded to 4.2.4, how to get to data

Help
Anonymous
2013-02-01
2013-05-29

• Anonymous
    2013-02-01

I had 4.2.1 (I think) when my hoster upgraded to PHP 5.3, which seriously broke PGV.

I've installed 4.2.4, and gave it the connection information, database name and table prefix that had been in use.  Details are in my wiki at http://sternbergh.org/mediawiki_1_20/index.php?title=PhpGedView_Notes .

Using another tool, I see that my data is still there.  Further, my admin user was accessible, recognized and honored, so I know PGV is hitting the existing data.

But when I go to the Welcome or MyGedView Portal, no genealogy databases are listed. 

How do I tell PGV to use the databases that are in the database?

Thanks for reading

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-02-01

You should have upgraded to version 4.3.0 (the "SVN" version).  Version 4.2.4 will NOT work with PHP 5.3

Download and upgrade instructions are in the Help topic just below this one.  Its title begins with "Repost: Download "SVN" version" . 

You'll need to restore the old PGV installation and the matching database first, and then check that the "index" directory contains a current GEDCOM.  If so, you can proceed with the upgrade instructions.

Since you apparently didn't act on your friendly service provider's warnings about the PHP upgrade, you'll have to hope that when you restore your ancient PGV installation, you'll still be able to export (or download) the GEDCOM from the database.  If not, you'll have to enlist their help in getting the old PHP back temporarily so that you CAN get the GEDCOM .

If you successfully download the GEDCOM, you need to rename it so that the name matches exactly what the PGV installation is expecting. 

• Anonymous
    2013-02-07

Thank you canajun2eh

I'm a little confused.  Documentation indicates that 4.2.3 will use PHP 5.3.  And you have post, https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768, that says "You must understand that this version is called "4.3.0 SVN".  It's actually 4.2.4 with all the latest updates.  You can safely use this version.  Any bugs in this version also exist in 4.2.4 (!!)"  And yet you say 4.2.3 will not work with PHP.

Now, I have installed PGV 4.2.4, and it is working… more or less.  The Welcome page doesn't always display all of the boxes, there's frequently 1-3 that don't show up, they show a spinning circle instead, even if left for hours.

I didn't configure SMTP, and tried sending an email from my one userid to my other one and it worked.  But when I changed something, the email notifying me that a change had been made didn't go out.  The code failed:

ERROR 2: mail() [function.mail]: Could not execute mail delivery program '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i'
    0 Error occurred on in function mail
    1 called from line 164 of file functions_mail.php in function pgvMail
    2 called from line 547 of file authentication.php in function addMessage
    3 called from line 86 of file review_changes.php in function review_changes_block
    4 called from line 1 of file index.php(276) : eval()'d code in function eval
    5 called from line 276 of file index.php

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-02-07

PGV 4.2.4 will work with PHP v5.3, until you get to code where it doesn't and you'll have blank pages or be unable to manage the admin pages (did you check them?).  Do not use v4.2.4 with PHP 5.3. Upgrade to v4.3 SVN now. Then see what problems you still have.

We can no longer support v4.2.4 with PHP beyond v5.2 and that is now deprecated nearly one year.

Have you considered webtrees?
    -Stephen