Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Repost: Download "SVN" versi...

Help
2011-03-02
2013-05-29
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-03-02

A copy of the current SVN is created on SourceForge every evening.

Here's the download location:
    http://phpgedview.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/phpgedview/trunk/phpGedView/?view=tar

This 16 Mb file can be expanded with 7-zip or Winzip to produce a 52 Mb compressed file.  This 52 Mb file can be expanded with 7-zip or Winzip to produce a directory called "phpGedView", containing the latest-and-greatest version of PGV.

You must understand that this version is called "4.3.0 SVN".  It's actually 4.2.4 with all the latest updates.  You can safely use this version.  Any bugs in this version also exist in 4.2.4 (!!)

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-03-21

Bump.

The update procedure consists of:
    (a) Make a full backup of the database and the existing site files, so that you can revert if necessary.

(b) Using the old program, export the database to a GEDCOM.  There's no need to download this file.

(C) Delete everything in the server directory where PhpGedView is installed.  BUT: do not delete anything that you wish or need to preserve.  You MUST keep file "config.php" and directories "media" and "index".  If you've created additional language files, identified by "extra.xx.php" in the "languages" directory, you need to keep these too.  Likewise for any module configuration files or for additional themes.

(d) After having used your favourite Unzip program, such as 7-Zip, you'll end up with a directory containing all of the PhpGedView program.  Delete subdirectories "media" and "index" so that you won't overwrite the ones already on the server.  There is no file "config.php" - it's called "config.dist", and you can delete this.  Delete also any modules you don't want to use by deleting their subdirectories in the "modules" directory.  Likewise for themes you don't wish to use and for languages you don't want your users to access.  You MUST keep the English language files even if your site will never allow the use of English.

(e) Use your favourite FTP client to copy the remaining PhpGedView files and directories to the server directory where PhpGedView is installed.

(f) Use your favourite FTP client to set the permissions of PhpGedView files and directories.  644 is OK for most servers, but some, mine included, want 755.  You need to set the permissions on the "index" and "media" directories, and all their contents, to 777.  If your site needs some configuring, set the permission on "config.php" to 777, but remember to restore that permission to 644 (or 755) when you're done.  Note: the 755 permission is never wrong, even when the server will accept 644.  "4" means "read" while "5" means "read or execute".

(g) Launch PhpGedView, log in with Site Admin rights, and access the Manage GEDCOMs page.  Re-import the GEDCOM that you exported in step (b).  Be sure to let PhpGedView delete existing database information.  Tell it also to delete existing media links.  The media option is in there to handle situations where the incoming GEDCOM is missing valuable media information.  This happens when the GEDCOM is created by older versions of Family Tree Maker, among others.

If you're setting up a new site, the procedure is almost the same.  The difference is that you won't have anything on the server that needs to be preserved.  You'll need to rename the "config.dist" file on your local PC to "config.php", and you do NOT delete directories "media" and "index"  before uploading to the server using FTP.  Instead of re-importing the existing and previously exported GEDCOM file, you'll need to create one or upload one from another source.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-04-03

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-04-30

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-05-28

bumo

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-07-01

bump again

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-07-28

Bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-22

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-10-03

bump again

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-10-28

Bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-11-23

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-12-30

Another "bump"

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-01-28

Bump again

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-02-27

Bump again.  I wish this stupid forum had a "sticky" function, so that I wouldn't have to keep bumping this post to keep it at the top of the list.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-04-04

Bump.

• tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-06

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-05-31

bump

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-04

bump

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-03

Bump again

• Han
    Han
    2012-07-24

Mmm, I use windows 7 and I think that I use Winzip (Can't find it with that name on the harddisk) to expend zip-files (using the rightmousbutton and expend all). I don't see this option when I rightclick de .tar.gz-file. How do I expend the tar.gz-file? Is there no zip-file?

• Han
    Han
    2012-07-24

I understand it now. Microsoft calls the unziptool in Windows Winzip but it isn't the program Winzip.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-24

I recommend that you use the free program "7-zip".  Use Google to find the correct download site.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-07-30

To copy the sourceforge SVN file from linux command line with wget use:

sudo wget "http://phpgedview.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/phpgedview/trunk/phpGedView/?view=tar" -O pgv430.tar.gz

("sudo" may not be needed depending on your circumstances).  There may be a more elegant way with svn or git.

To unpack the downloaded tarball, use:

sudo tar -xvf pgv430.tar.gz
    (again, use of sudo depends on your circumstances)

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-02

I'm trying to upgradeto 4..3.0 SVN. I made a backup of the database. On 2 (b) I don't know how to export the database to a Getcom. I logged in as an administrator but can't find an 'export database' option.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-08-03

Han,

Find the link to "Manage Gedcoms and Edit Privacy" page.

Click the export link on the Gedcom(s) you want to preserve data from.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)