Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Cannot create new gedcom

Help
Dione Watt
2013-08-18
2013-08-19
  • Dione Watt
    Dione Watt
    2013-08-18

Hello, I just successfully installed PHPGedview ver 4.3 and configured it. I have no previous family tree so I am starting from scratch. I successfully created a new gedcom, when I go to my homepage I see my gedcom's chart there, but when I try to click on anything I get an error. when I click my pedigree chart, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getPrimaryChildFamily() on a non-object in /home/www/mywebnamehere.com/Familytree/includes/functions/functions_charts.php on line 663

Incidentally, when I was creating the gedcom and at the end on the import page, it told me the file was imported successfully, but I got the following error:

ERROR 2: strpos() [function.strpos]: Offset not contained in string
    0 Error occurred on in function strpos
    1 called from line 955 of file uploadgedcom.php

Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Offset not contained in string in /home/www/spiritofesther.com/Familytree/uploadgedcom.php on line 955
    Invalid GEDCOM format
    Unable to create backup of the GEDCOM file at ./index/index.bak
    Unable to copy updated GEDCOM file ./index/index.new to ./index/
    Import Statistics

However, when I click the link to go to the Pedigree Tree I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getPrimaryChildFamily() on a non-object in /home/www/spiritofesther.com/Familytree/includes/functions/functions_charts.php on line 663

HELP!!!

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-08-19

Try calling your GEDCOM something other than "index".

You should be using a name something like "watt.ged" . Notice the presence of the ".ged" file name extension. Avoid the use of special characters in the file name. They can cause problems on some systems. Don't use very long file names.

By the way:
    Since you're just starting out, you'd be better served by the program "webtrees". Webtrees was cloned from PhpGedView over three years ago, when almost all the developers left the PGV project. It's under active development where PGV has remained stagnant. You'll get much better support too.