Blank Page after install

Help
2012-08-12
2013-05-30
  • Thabo Pienaar
    Thabo Pienaar
    2012-08-12

After I have installed my PHPGedview, I went to the upload Gedcom (editgedcoms.php) file.  Upon clicking upload, I'm taken to an empty / blank page.

Any help?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-12

What version? JSYK, any version is over two years old since there has been any substantial development.
    You should have installed the SVN code (v4.3).
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-13

If you see an empty or incomplete page, you need to use your browser to inspect the page source for that incomplete/blank page.  In all likelihood, there will be some sort of error message near the bottom of that page source.

I suspect that you don't have enough memory allocated to the PHP process.  PGV needs at least 32 Mb of memory, and more is better.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-08-15

Hi Thabo,

Check the 2nd post on this thread for installation instructions:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768

Notes on a fresh install are near the bottom.

In particular, failing to create a config.php by copying config.dist may cause this.

-George

ps
    Someone should put these install notes on the wiki or update the wiki - the installation there refers to version 4.2.x.

• miron
    miron
    2012-09-19

I have the same problem, on two different windows machines. I followed the fresh install instruction, but when I get to the upload/create/add GEDCOM step - it always shows a blank page. The page source reveals nothing - it is totally empty.
    I used latest 4.3.0 SVN from trunk.
    Even putting the GEDCOM file in the index folder doesn't enable you to add it. Create is not working as well.
    It doesn't seem like a memory problem - at least one of the machines has plenty of memory.
    Is there a workaround to be able to import a GEDCOM on a frsh installation (even something to put in the mySQL tables to help it)?

Thanks,
    Miron

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-19

Miron:
    Having plenty of memory is not the same as having plenty of memory available to the PHP process.

You need to examine the php.ini file on the server to see whether the memory_limit parameter is present and adequately configured.  If it's not present, the default is 8 Mb.  PGV needs at least 32 Mb, and more is better.

You can run the following PHP script to examine the various configuration settings on the server:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Look for the memory_limit in the output of the above script.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-19

Miron e-mailed me directly.

It turns out that the two machines in question are running PHP 5.4.0.  One of the "improvements" in 5.4.0 is that the function import_request_variables() was completely removed.  The editconfig_gedcom.php and uploadgedcom.php scripts make use of this function. 

Even though the calls to this function are prefixed with an @ , Miron's systems decided to kill the scripts instead of ignoring the missing function.  This could be a PHP mis-configuration.

I'll have to see what can be done to remove the use of this function from PGV.

• Anonymous
    2012-11-30

It turns out that the two machines in question are running PHP 5.4.0.  One of the "improvements" in 5.4.0 is that the function import_request_variables() was completely removed.  The editconfig_gedcom.php and uploadgedcom.php scripts make use of this function. 

Even though the calls to this function are prefixed with an @ , Miron's systems decided to kill the scripts instead of ignoring the missing function.  This could be a PHP mis-configuration.

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I'm having the exact same problem with PHP 5.4 .  (Just to be clear, the memory_limit parameter is set to 128 MB, I so know that shouldn't be an issue.)   I don't have the option of using a previous PHP version.  Is there a work-around of some type?  Thanks.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-11-30

Laurie
    I'm not sure of your problem. I'm running PHP v5.4.9 and experience no issues with either the editconfig_gedcom.php function or the uploadgedcom.php function. But then most of the issues were repaired for v5.4 PHP in SVN 7075 on 20 SEP 2012.

What version are you trying to use? If not the SVN code, 7081, then you will not be successful in reaching the ADMIN page for PGV nor applying anything meaningful to several admin files directly.
    -Stephen

• Anonymous
    2012-11-30

Hi Stephen,

I just downloaded from sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/?source=dlp tonight.  It states it is version 4.3 and that it's the latest.  I don't know anything about this SVN 7081 you mentioned.  Where do I find that? 

I'm just going off of canajun2eh's earlier discussion of the editconfig_gedcom issue with 5.4, so I'm not sure about any of this.  I'm sort of winging it, as this is my first experience with the program. 

Everything else seems to work fine.  I have no problem reaching the ADMIN page.  The only thing I can't seem to do is upload/add GEDCOM's using the editconfig_gedcom page.

• Anonymous
    2012-11-30

Ah, the download actually states it is 4.2.4.  Not sure why I ended up with that one.  I have found 4.3, which does say it's the latest.  I've downloaded and am putting the files on the server now.  Will see how it goes.  Thanks.

• Anonymous
    2012-11-30

Thanks, Steven.

Well, I installed it and followed the directions.  While 4.2.4 installed like a charm (even though the GEDCOM adding part didn't work,) this version (4.3 SVN)  won't even let me get to the installation part.  I point my browser to the URL and get the following:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'No Connection Established' in /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/includes/classes/class_pgv_db.php:704 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/includes/functions/functions_db.php(2723): PGV_DB::prepare('SELECT setting_…') #1 /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/includes/session.php(530): get_user_setting('1', 'language') #2 /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/config.php(83): require_once('/homepages/44/d…') #3 /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/install.php(43): require_once('/homepages/44/d…') #4 {main} thrown in /homepages/44/d89666362/htdocs/General/genealogy/includes/classes/class_pgv_db.php on line 704

I have no idea what any of this means.  If someone can make sense of it, that would be great.  I'm willing to work through this, but I'm lost on this one. 

Oh, and, yes, I have changed the permissions on config.php (changed from config.dist) and on the index folder AND the files inside it.  I really don't know what to do next on this.

Thanks.

• Anonymous
    2012-11-30

Okay, I took a little time to get over my frustration, and ponder the issue.  Turns out I needed to manually configure the database information in the config.php file myself.  After I did that, things went smoothly.  It's fully installed, and I was able to upload a GEDCOM. 

Thanks for your help!  Much appreciated.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-11-30

Laurie
    This was an upgrade, wasn't it? Not a fresh install. You should be following the instructions for a usual upgrade and those included in the thread link I provided. Here is an INCOMPLETE recap of those instructions.

For security of data, (1) make a SQL backup. (2) make a GEDCOM export. (3) make a copy of your PGV installation folder.
    A) replace all the files in your PGV installation with all the files in the SVN download - EXCEPT the config.php file, your Index folder and your media folder.

The you simply return to your site as you normally would and any updates to the tables would be made due to schema changes.

Sounds like you are a better candidate for webtrees.

-Stephen

• Anonymous
    2012-12-26

Any solution to this?  I'm trying to get up and running from scratch on a new machine, and can't get the import from gedcom or adding a gedcom to do anything but display a blank screen. 

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-12-27

What version?

PGV 4.2.4 is not compatible with newer versions of PHP.  You have to use the "SVN" version, which is also called 4.3.0.

Download location and instructions are in a recently "bumped" Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download "SVN" version"

If you're starting from scratch, you might be better off with Webtrees, which is under active development and has better support.  PhpGedView hasn't had any significant work done on it for a very long time.  Webtrees was cloned from PhpGedView about 3 years ago.