Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Best techniques for searching

Help
Thomas52
2012-08-09
2013-05-30
  • Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-08-09

There have been several inquiries regarding searches and search problems.  Generally speaking, is there any difference between searching for a name using the Menu "general search" or the search box at the top right?  Are there any tips or techniques to improve search functions or "re-build"  to provide for better searches?  In searching for a name, my best experience has been to use the "Branches" report under "Lists" (which includes some surname spelling variations,) and then to page "find" the given name.  Any thoughts?

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-08-09

P.S. I have some names like "O'Connell" that can only be found by searching WITH the apostrophe.  I'm very reluctant to eliminate the use of apostrophes in surnames, since that is the way the individuals spelled their names?  Any thoughts here?

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-08-09

This is a little bit dependant on the database engine you are using. I've had a little bit of fun ensuring that apostrophes get handled properly in the Firebird port as these are used as escape characters as well. But looking up o'Connell when the search term is 'connell' requires a bit of work over the simple searching?
    Soundex searches should give alternative matches, while the general search is just a simple match up, and I don't have any problem with the simple search, but only looking up correctly typed names ;)

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-10

Thomas:
    When you're searching for "oconnell" (without the apostrophe), the D-M "sounds like" search will certainly find "O'Connell".  Searching for "connell" should always find "O'Connell", no matter whether you're doing a text search or a "sound like" search.

You need to set the "Exclude non-genealogical data" option to "off", otherwise hits where the search term is found in Notes will be excluded even when the same hit occurs in PLAC, NAME, DATE, etc. records.  This is a programming problem, where the "Exclude" option takes precedence over an otherwise legitimate "Found".  There's an open bug report on this.

I've figured out how to implement a workable solution, but haven't had time to do so yet.

The quick-and-dirty solution (not the one I'll implement eventually) is to set the default "exclude" option to "Off".  Change line 63 of includes/controllers/search_ctrl.php from

var $tagfilter = "on";

to

var $tagfilter = "on";

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-10

Oops:
    That second code should have been:

var $tagfilter = "off";

I REALLY wish this stupid message board let me edit a previous post that *I* originated!!!!