download numbers vs GEDitCom numbers

Help
macalter
2011-08-01
2013-05-30
  • macalter
    macalter
    2011-08-01

I opened my backup gedcom file in GEDitCom and notice discrepancies in totals.
    PGV: Indi = 12870  Fam = 4448
    GED: Indi = 10228  Fam = 3448
    Why would there be this discrepancy?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-08-01

Mac
    Did you download the latest copy or are you using an older version?  Remember that the stats are taken from the SQL, not from the text file.  Go to ADMIN Gedcoms and download a new copy. Open that with GEDitCOM and they should be the same or very similar.  Here's mine:
    PGV: Indi = 96304 Fam = 32230
    GED: Indi = 96304 Fam = 32229

-Stephen

• macalter
    macalter
    2011-08-01

The copy I opened had just been downloaded. I did it from ADMIN backup w/o media (it's not for uploading again so wanted it smaller)

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-08-01

Mac
    I said nothing about using the backup utility as a method of obtaining a copy of the current SQL contents to have a family tree to compare. Frankly, I can't tell you if the utility works or not, but I find it grossly inadequate in obtaining a backup of my data, so I would never use it to test.

I mentioned going to Admin > Manage GEDCOMs and DOWNLOAD. There will be no need to untick any box as it does not download media. Use this Gedcom to compare. Mine, after a minor fix of one family generated without an XREF due to an old bug, is now matching perfectly.
    -Stephen

• macalter
    macalter
    2011-08-01

Ah, I didn't realize the gedcom would differ. It now matches in GEDitCom. Just trying to scroll through all the unrecognized custom tag errors to find the "real ones".