Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Media management not working as expected

Help
2011-04-17
2013-05-30
  • Graham Ellis
    Graham Ellis
    2011-04-17

I have some media that display both thumbnails and full size pictures with no problem.

However, the 'manage multimedia' does not list any of my media.
    When I upload pictures, sometimes a thumbnail is created, but more often it isn't (even though I have the 'create thumbnails' option selected in the config file). Hitting the 'create missing thumbnails' button in 'manage multimedia' just returns a double line across the screen and does not create any thumbnails. When going to any person that has a missing thumbnail, no data at all is displayed for that person (presumably because the file cannot be found).

Sometimes (when I am not logged in) the pictures display a watermark, and other days the same pictures do not display a watermark.

I am using version 4.2.4 in mySQL. I have tried turning the media firewall off and on again, and there is a .htaccess file in the media folder. Media folders and files are set to 777. I have incorporated the files from the patch 'Manage Media forgets certain options after media change made - ID: 3173600', which has not helped. When importing GEDCOMS I do not keep media links.

Any ideas?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-04-17

Graham
    Many, many posts herein about thumbnail creation. It is a VERY memory-hungry, demanding procedure. If you, like some, have main images that are too large (PGV is NOT a media presentation software package), the thumbnail procedure fails. Also, it can be a matter of permission structure too.

Finally, in manage media - nothing appears until you search or click DISPLAY ALL. This is by design. In most cases you need to apply some sort of filter, and if you have lots of media in one folder, this too can be very slow and painful. lets just say media is great, but media management is and has not been its forte.

watermarks are part of the media management system and you configure this on your GEDCOM config pages.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-04-18

Stephen is right:  MORE MEMORY

Alternatively, create your thumbnails outside PGV and then upload the main image and its corresponding thumbnail at the same time.

• Graham Ellis
    Graham Ellis
    2011-04-18

I have clicked on 'display all' and I have also tried to add a filter, but in both cases, absolutely nothing displays.

I have configuered watermarks ok, but my issue is that they seem intermittent. The same image can have a watermark one day, and not the next day!

I recognise that memory may be an issue. However, I have had one photo that was 2.4Mb create a thumbnail ok, but another that was 0.5 Mb did not create a thumbnail!

I guess I may have to create outside PGV and upload?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-04-19

If you encounter an imcomplete page, you should examine the page source in your browser.  You will probably find a meaningful error message at the bottom of the page source.

Whether or not a given image will display or not depends on the amount of memory PGV has at its disposal at that moment.  This depends on what you did previously.

Try changing PGV's configuration to increase the memory limit.  This is the "configuration" option on the Admin menu.  This option launches the Install wizard at step 4.  You'll find the relevant option under the "Advanced" tab.  You need to make sure your "config.php" file is writable.

After having changed the option, you need to continue clicking "Next" until the configuration has been saved.