Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

500 internal server error

Help
macalter
2012-09-22
2013-05-30
  • macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-22

I just tried to install  most current SVN (download was about 1/2 hour ago). Upon uploading my .ged file, got ' 500 Internal Server Error".

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-22

Did you download the actual SVN, or the nightly extract mentioned in the recent Help post whose title begins with "Repost: Download …"?  If it's the latter, you need to modify a couple of files as mentioned in the Help post below.

There's an error in SVN 7075 that is corrected in SVN 7078.

• macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-23

http://phpgedview.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/phpgedview/trunk/phpGedView/ > Download GNU tarball -
    I have PGV running but not active, mostly using Research Asst. Post about the SVN so I figured should keep somewhat updated.

Most bizarre: just went to  my PGV link, page loads and could log in. Admin page gives PhpGedView 4.3.0 svn. Is this most current?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-23

As is noted in the post just below this one, there are two corrections that need to be applied.  Without them, any uploads of the GEDCOM will fail.

These corrections were applied to the SVN today, so the GNU tarball you downloaded will NOT be the same as the one you would be downloading tomorrow.  The editconfig_gedcom.php and uploadgedcom.php files will be different.  Remember that the tarball will be created overnight (Pacific time).

• macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-23

OOPS, got my timezones mixed up and thought I had waited, as was my intention. Instead of adding corrections, will not use until I do new download tomorrow late night (11pm EST). Will the version be different in Admin or still read 4.3.0 svn?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-23

The version number will still be the same.

Nobody has, so far, come up with a simple way of determining the SVN revision number without actually connecting to the SVN.  This would slow PGV too much, and isn't worth the trouble.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-25

Please see bug report 3571316 .  There's an attached ZIP file containing updates that might fix this problem.

• macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-25

I see the bug report and downloaded file. See the SVN says 3079. That means I can download tarball then add the extra files to my server upload?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-25

Mac:
    If you've downloaded the Tarball today (Tuesday), the files in the zip file will already be included, and you don't need to download the zip file too.

If you downloaded before today, then you just need to download and apply the zip file contents - you don't need to download the whole tarball.  The zip file contents stand on their own and don't depend on anything else in the Tarball.

• macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-26

Just tried again and got the 500 error when uploading GEDCOM file. SVN downloaded this evening.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-26

Mac:
    There's not a lot we can do to fix this problem without more information.

You need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to examine the server's log file for more information.

You'll need to provide them with the exact date and time when the error occurred.  If the error happens predictably, you could arrange to reproduce the error while they're watching the log file.

Once we know exactly what the server is complaining about, we can attempt to come up with a solution.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-09-26

Mac
    uploading or importing?  PGV and Gerry's SVN changes have nothing to do with Uploading. Likely your PHP.ini has a limit to the size of the file, but regardless, you should be using FTP to move your GED file to your host. His changes affected PHP v5.4 and importing family tree files. (as well as a few other tweaks). Please remember that these are bandaids on an otherwise stagnant program. Effectively, there has been no change in PGV since the release of version 4.2.3, almost three years ago.
    -Stephen

• macalter
    macalter
    2012-09-26

I did an FTP of my GEDCOM and things returned. Seems file was 7.14MB in size. Will stay here unless I read of dire reasons to do this all again :) PGV isn't my active app but need to retrieve info left behind

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-09-26

Like most (and check your PHP.ini) you probably have a 4mb or 2mb file limit.