Help
Petros
2013-04-10
2013-05-29
  • Petros
    Petros
    2013-04-10

Hello guys,

I am hoping that someone here can help this newbie…

My problem is the following:  I was working with PhpGedView 4.2.4, running it locally, on uniserver.

I was hoping to setup an extended tree for all the 5000 people in my home town, and peoples names and places were entered in Greek.

It was all working great.  At some point i stopped working on this project and now i have decided to come back to it.

The problem is that i cannot remember the administrator password. I tried a few of the suggestions on the forum to change it, but i have failed. Can anybody help out? I went to phpmyadmin, found the username  in pgv_user and tried to change the MD5 password, but the new password will not work. I then deleted the pgv_user table and edited config.php so that $CONFIGURED=false, but when the setup process got to the point where it would need to create the admin user, the system crashed

The second issue, is that all the names i entered in Greek, now appear with strange looking unreadable fonts… I checked the pgv_individuals table, and its Collation is latin1_swedish_ci. Is this an indication of the problem? Should it not be utf8_general_ci?  Is there some way to correct this so that it displays in Greek?

I was thinking that in the worst case if i correct the individuals table, then i can somehow extract the data from pgv_individuals and import it into another installation…

Can anybody help?

Thank you very much

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2013-04-11

Petros,

A fresh install of the latest SVN, then migrate the old tables to the new DB except for the  pgv_user tables (might be easier to do the reverse on a copy of the old DB, then change the config file).  Not sure this will work, however can't think of why it won't.  Assumes your existing version is 4.x.

George

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2013-04-11

Oh, I think your greek chars are fubared.  Make sure the new DB is utf.  Didn't the font problem show up right away?  Maybe you have a gedcom you imported?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-04-12

If you have to start over again, I suggest you switch to Webtrees.

Webtrees is under active development.  It was cloned from PhpGedView about 3 years ago, and all the developers moved to Webtrees.