Fatal error: Allowed memory size exhausted

Help
2012-06-04
2013-05-30
  • Larry Landen
    Larry Landen
    2012-06-04

I downloaded PhpGedView 4.2.4, created a database and successfully installed the genealogy program on my server.  But when I go to upload my gedcom file I get an error message:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted
    My server PHP information is here: http://www.landen-family.com/phpinformation.php
    My PhpGedView is here: http://www.landen-family.com/familyTree/phpgedview/
    How do I get past the memory size error, and thereby successfully import the gedcom file?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-04

1st, I suppose you did not read these forums. Installation of v4.2.4 is NO LONGER recommended. It is ancient and has a few serious bugs. You should ONLY be installing v4.3 from the SVN code. Look at the help forum for a link and instructions. That alone may solve your installation problems, but likely that:
    2) 32mb is probably in adequate as it was requesting 132mb. This may possibly be solved by setting the time to a much lower number (10-15 seconds) for the import reload.
    3) the latency and connection speed to your site is absolutely awful. You may have problems running PGV in this environment as the server, memory, and/or your bandwidth may be inadequate to run scripts properly.

Install v4.3 and see if you still have a problem. If so, increase your memory and use a smaller timeout for restarting import.

If you are just beginning collaborative genealogy, you may consider installation of webtrees, a fork of PGV. Under active development (which PGV is not), a new version (v1.3) was released today.
    -Stephen

• Larry Landen
    Larry Landen
    2012-06-04

v4.2.4 is the latest stable release that I found for download.  http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Download did not yet show anything more recent.   I am not familiar with SVN, nor did I see it as an option on the phpvedview dot net download page.  Perhaps you could point a blind person in the right direction?
    Also, you mentioned a lower number of seconds for reload.  When I tried that with the auto-continue option selected it would not actually continue with the upload/import but rather it would restart rather than continue.  Thus I continually stretched the time-out period until it was long enough to complete the upload in one shot.

• Larry Landen
    Larry Landen
    2012-06-04

I found this help forum for the SVN: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768
    Is that a good link to the correct most recent download?  It got a tar.gz file which Windows didn't know what to do with it.  I've also tested the speed of my connection to the Internet at speedtest.net and it seems reasonably fast with download speed of 89.06 Mbps and upload speed of 61.96 Mbps.  Do you suspect the speed problem is with my hosting company rather than my Internet connection?

• Larry Landen
    Larry Landen
    2012-06-04

To Stephen with user ID okbigkid I found another very old post from you https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/3500478?message=7950300

You wrote "Not sure why you want to DL SVN as its a bit like playing with fire" but in your reply to me today you wrote that the latest stable release for download is ancient and buggy and that I should use SVN.  Just curious which to use, then.  Also, how to use .tar.gz files

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-04

Are you trying to be argumentative? If you ask for and receive advice, why question it?
    Don't resurrect old posts. Things change over time. This is why I clearly referred to the Help post on SVN v4.3. If you read this post, presented by one of only two remaining developers, you would know precise why and how to use the download.

One of the bugs squashed with 4.3 was part of the import process and the time settings. Some of what you are experiencing is related to these issues. It is only one of the reasons I instructed you to use v4.3, not v4.2.4.

Obviously you are new to PGV. You should read the forums and you will discover that the project is not currently under development. There are no current plans to renew active development unless a talented coder decides to adopt the project. The only related project (a fork of PGV, but far more advanced in its use of current code like jQuery and CSS) is webtrees. If you are serious about genealogy, you should consider that project instead of PGV unless you have a crippled host.

I said nothing about your bandwidth as I would have no idea what you have personally. Too, Ihave no idea what kind of services you have purchased on Bluehost linux box, but I made a comment about latency and performance of loading the site, so I would assume you are on a cheap plan on a shared (read overloaded) server with marginal memory. This would be confirmed by the marginally tuned PHP info you provided.  v5.2.17 is ancient code (+2 years).

Again, i kindly recommend that, should you decide to proceed with PGV:

Install v4.3 and see if you still have a problem. If so, increase your memory and use a smaller timeout for restarting import.

If you wish to ignore my recommendations, I seriously doubt you will receive better advice from any of the other experienced users.
    -Stephen

• Larry Landen
    Larry Landen
    2012-06-05

Not trying to challenge at all.  I appreciate the help, and my nature is to proceed with caution because I've too often rushed into something only to find out later that I hadn't paid enough attention.  Hence all the questions, but they're to make certain I understand but they're not to resist the help.  So thank you for bearing with me and helping a newbie :-)  I also saw the forum was large with many topics, and didn't know where to start.
    You do confirm, then, that the two older posts have the correct link to the SVN (location hasn't changed)?  I don't really know what an SVN is but presume it's a "nightly build" (except that I now understand the project is not currently underdevelopment, so rather than nightly it would instead be the most current version).  I will use that link in the SVN for v4.3, and will also try webtrees in parallel for comparison.  I am confident I will find webtrees to be superior and at that time can discontinue pgv.  I will also Google what to do with .tar.gz files so that I will know how to extract that compressed file.  Thanks again!

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-05

The very first paragraph of the very first post of the help topic contains an explanation, including:

This 16 Mb file can be expanded with 7-zip or Winzip to produce a 52 Mb compressed file.  This 52 Mb file can be expanded with 7-zip or Winzip to produce a directory called "phpGedView", containing the latest-and-greatest version of PGV.

There should be no question about how to handle the compressed file and no need to Google anything.

It would be particularly redundant to confirm for a third time that you are to use the SVN file, as you have been clearly instructed, should you choose to proceed with PGV, to:

As is warned elsewhere and is always good practice, backup, backup and then backup again before you toy with your files and your database. Restoration to a previous condition is always the easiest and best choice if something goes wrong.

Knowing both programs well, as I do, PGV is an excellent choice for someone who has little intention of staying with the advancements in the field and has been using the program, but not a good start for a newbie.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-05

tuometsys:
    I strongly advise you, as a new user of PhpGedView, to abandon that program altogether and start completely fresh with Webtrees.  You'll get much better performance and also considerably better support.

I'm sticking with PhpGedView because I have no need to do things on my site that can't be done with PhpGedView.  I've been using PGV since 2003.  I also know what I'm doing and how to use the program.