Subdomain install and cookies problem

Help
Annys
2013-01-12
2013-05-29
  • Annys
    Annys
    2013-01-12

I installed PhpGedCom in a subfolder of my domain but desided later that I want to have it installed on a subdomain. This second install went fine but I'm not able to log in.

The website shows this error:
    "This site uses cookies to keep track of your login status.
    Cookies do not appear to be enabled in your browser. You must enable cookies for this site before you can login.  You can consult your browser's help documentation for information on enabling cookies."

I checked my Chrome settings but that's not the problem. I have one chrome tab with my first subfolder install (works) and another tab with my subdomain install (doesn't work).

I'm using the 4.3.0 SVN version. They don't share a database. I've followed the installation guide and made the neccecary permission changes on folders / files. I've done this at least four times with no change; I still can't log in.

I contacted my provider but they can't help me because it's not being caused by their stuff (?).

I hope someone with more knowledge can help me!

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-01-13

Try using a different browser (Firefox or Opera, for example) to log into the second install WITHOUT also logging into the first install.  I suspect this will work.

If you're just starting out with PhpGedView, you should really look at Webtrees.  Webtrees was cloned from PhpGedView almost three years ago and is under active development with very good support available.  PGV has been in a holding pattern for the last 2 years.

• Annys
    Annys
    2013-01-14

I tried that too without success. I keep seeing the cookie warning and I still can't log in.
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was a clone and it looks the same.
    Maybe Webtrees can be installed in my subdomain.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-01-14

Can you e-mail me the URLs to your two PGV installations?  gkroll at keldine dot ca

Do NOT post the URLs here, please.

If a login ID is required to see the problem, please send those credentials too.  I'd prefer to not know how to log in.,

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2013-02-03

I'd like to know how this was resolved.   Recent versions of PGV have given the "Cookies" warning while still allowing login for me too, when switching domains (like http://… to https://…)

Thanks, George

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-02-04

This was never resolved.

• Annys
    Annys
    2013-02-04

Sorry for not responding. My laptop died. :-(
    I tried to install webtrees in a subdomain. That didn't work either. The install even failed. Maybe it's an issue with my provider. I don't know.
    I haven't tried anything else yet and I've installed PGV in a subfolder. That works perfectly.