Softaculous install

Help
Mike
2012-12-17
2013-05-30
  • Mike
    Mike
    2012-12-17

I did a new install of PhpGedView 4.2.4 using my shared hosting company's Softaculous script install program.  I then had PhpGedView read in a previous version's GEDCOM, and then I copied the previous version's media files.  PhpGedView seems to be working well and our data seems to be intact.  However, when I click on "Configuration" in the Site Administration section of Admin, the link leads to install.php?step=4   which apparently doesn't exist.  I'm guessing the Softaculous install bypassed an install step or two.  Is there another way I can finish the install?  Thanks, Mike Pryslak. 

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-12-18

1) We no longer support PGV v4.2.4. Too many problems with current versions of PHP and MySQL. You need to install the SVN version as shown in another HELP thread.
    2) We do not support the Softaculous script. Step 4 of the INSTALL.PHP script is the CONFIGURATION screen. You can examine this by typing http://yourPGVdomain/install.php
    3) Have you entered all pertinent information? Have you reset the permissions on CONFIG.PHP ?
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-12-18

I suspect your helpful ISP has deleted the "install.php" script in a mistaken belief that it's no longer needed after the initial install.  There's a good  possibility that they've done the same with other scripts that you'll probably need sometime.

I strongly urge you to download PGV version 4.3.0 (the "SVN" version) and then do an "upgrade" install as described in the Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download ….".

There's no need to do a database backup or anything else, other than blow away all of the PGV files and directories except for file "config.php" and directories "media" and "index".  The database is identical between 4.2.4 and 4.3.0.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-12-18

Thank you Stephen and Gerry.  Stephen, I haven't yet corrected the permissions.  Gerry, you were right, the install script was not there, I added it, and it worked.  But I'm still on the 4.2.4 version and I need to upgrade.  I found the 4.3.0 SVN version and its install instructions; I'll make the changes and get everything clean and protected, hopefully tonight.  Thanks again for the speedy replies.  Regards, Mike.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-12-18

Mike:
    After you copy the 4.3.0 files into your server directory and set the permissions, you're good to go.  From 4.2.4 to 4.3.0, there's no need to re-import the GEDCOM.