Parse error: syntax error

Help
macalter
2007-12-15
2013-05-30
  • macalter
    macalter
    2007-12-15

Hello, just getting started on my first site. Install PhpGedView was done as an "easy install" through my web host. All I had to do was give the directory a name, give the database and name, and everything is done for me. Then I sign in and personalize. Here's my current problem:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in <my domain path/index/rebbes_conf.php on line 79

I had everything working and then found some people missing. So, decided to ADD the missing records to the existing GEDCOM file. Uploaded a 2nd file, tried to merge common IDs and that didn't bode well. Messed up.

Decided to start over. Erased GEDCOM file only to get the above error. Now, not only can't I access the PhpGedView page, I can't get to the site AT ALL! The site is locked so I should be prompted for user/password _before_ logging into my PhpGedView site.

Using FTP, I looked at the /index/ directory and this file is there. So are copies of my *.ged files which I've downloaded in case they're reusable (from an earlier timestamp than when I messed Up, I think.)

• Greg Roach
      Greg Roach
      2007-12-15

index/rebbes_conf.php contains the configuration settings for your gedcom file.  We won't have a copy of this file, as it is customised for each installation.

1) Can you tell us what lines 78-80 look like?

2) We should be able to recover your installation with no loss of data, but the info in 1) should tell us what has happened to you, so we can prevent it happening again.

• macalter
        macalter
        2007-12-15

LINES 78-86 (I edited some text to keep generic so grammar in this posting, so may appear weird :) Hope these are the lines needed.

$WELCOME_TEXT_AUTH_MODE = "4";            // -- Sets which predefined of custom welcome message will be displayed on the welcome page in authentication mode
        $WELCOME_TEXT_AUTH_MODE_4 = "WELCOME TO "THE REBBES OF GER" FAMILY TREE
        There's belief <removed for posting here> Help find the missing link!
        You must be a member family to have an account approved by the Administrator.";            // -- Customized welcome text to display on login screen if that option is chosen
        $WELCOME_TEXT_CUST_HEAD = false;        // -- Use standard PGV header to display with custom welcome text
        $SHOW_REGISTER_CAUTION = true;         // -- Show text about following site rules on Login-Register page
        $SHOW_GEDCOM_RECORD = true;                // -- a true value will provide a link on detail pages that will
                                                // --allow people to view the actual lines from the gedcom file
        $ALLOW_EDIT_GEDCOM = true;                //-- allow users with canEdit privileges to edit the gedcom

• Greg Roach
      Greg Roach
      2007-12-15

You appear to have a " character in your gedcom title:

WELCOME TO "THE REBBES OF GER" FAMIL

These are causing problems.  Download this file to your PC.  Edit it to change this lint to

WELCOME TO \&quot;THE REBBES OF GER\&quot; FAMIL

then upload it back to your server.

• macalter
      macalter
      2007-12-15

Thanks Greg!

In fact, after posting the snippet to you, I kept staring at it. Guess doing HTML, it dawned on me the quotes were making some text red some black, so removed them. Yup, that was the problem.

Now, I get to the login page HOWEVER, I shouldn't. I should be prompted for access to the directory first based on the .htaccess file.

barring that, I entered my admin username & password and it won't authenticate! I'm _locked out_!!! Now I'm really in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Greg Roach
      Greg Roach
      2007-12-15

<<I should be prompted for access to the directory first based on the .htaccess file. >>

Is it your server?  If not, your ISP could have disabled user's .htaccess files.  Most ISPs do.

<<I'm _locked out_!!! Now I'm really in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

If there is *no* admin account, PGV will prompt you to create one.  You've probably mistyped your password.  There are ways round this.  Do you have SQL access (e.g. phpMyAdmin?)

• macalter
      macalter
      2007-12-15

Yes, I'm webmaster of the domain and set the .htaccess for password as I didn't know what would display as the opening page after installing this app. I don't want anything public nor spiders so blocked it.

If I have SQL access, I don't know what it is. Probably do as I have the SQL database access. Oh, I'm on a Mac not PC in case that makes a difference. Editing is done in an editor called BBEdit which is used for raw HTML, XHTML, PHP etc.

At somepoint last night I changed from ADMIN to ADMINISTRATOR <knew I should have created 2nd admin account> as the send email via PHP looked better. So, is it possible this got overwritten uploading the old file?

Thanks,

• macalter
      macalter
      2007-12-15

UPDATE:
      I logged in as the 2nd user w/o admin priviledes. Screen refresh as if it's taking me to the welcome then presents me with log in again. Top left hand says I'm logged in. Clicked LOGOUT. I cannot log out! Empty cache; empty history; tried again. Only takes me to one URL: http://<domain>/login.php?url=editgedcoms.php

• Greg Roach
      Greg Roach
      2007-12-15

<<Only takes me to one URL: http://<domain>/login.php?url=editgedcoms.php>>

This is OK.  You can't do anything until you have created/uploaded and then imported a gedcom file.

If PGV can't find an imported gedcom, it redirects you here to encourage you to do so.

<<If I have SQL access, I don't know what it is.>>

I mean direct access to your database.  Presumably the same tool you used to create a database for PGV.  You can use this to update the pgv_users table directly to reset passwords, set account permissions, etc.

I use phpMyAdmin (1st hit on google).  You can browse/edit your data.

• macalter
      macalter
      2007-12-15

To create the database for PGV I exported from Reunion 8 as a Gedcom file and uploaded via PGV or FTP. There's a few tags that don't match up as Reunion lets you create your own stuff for its database w/o creating the Gedcom tag for it. (Had no reason to do so until now.)

I do have access to the database and gedcom file (on local Mac drive). Just very green to all this, so am bit scared :)

• Irene Eng
    Irene Eng
    2011-05-25

Hi Mac
    I know this is few years old, but I'm getting a smiliar msg after I updated one record

SParse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/ireneeng/familytree.ireneeng.com/index/pgv_changes.php on line 7/quote]
    How did you fix yours?  I asked my IP host but they didn't reply.  Probably not their problem ..
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Irene

• Irene Eng
    Irene Eng
    2011-05-25

oh .. sorry didn't see the rest of the thread.

SParse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/ireneeng/familytree.ireneeng.com/index/pgv_changes.php on line 7

How can I fix it?  Where do I look for it??
    Thank you.
    Irene

• macalter
    macalter
    2011-05-26

Irene,
    <QUOTE>You appear to have a " character in your gedcom title:

For me, this is what caused the problem, using quotation mark within the body of my welcome text. I assume it may apply to current version (2007 was 4.1.5 I think).  fisharebest gave the solution to use \" instead of the quote mark alone. (forward slash + quote mark)

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-05-26

Actually this in an 'escape' character - backslash - not a forward slash, but only the name is incorrect in Mac's explanation.