Help
Irene Eng
2011-10-07
2013-05-30
  • Irene Eng
    Irene Eng
    2011-10-07

Hi
    My PGV runs very slow.  I don't know what can I do to speed it up: I'm using Dell Inspiron 530S, and Acer Aspire One.  FiOS, DreamHost (does this matter?) …
    My other stuff/apps run just fine, not lightening but fast enough to keep me content.
    Do I need a new computer?
    Thank you in advance.
    Irene

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-10-08

Irene:
    There are several factors that affect how well PGV appears to function on the PC you use to access the application:

(a) The server speed and how many other applications or users it's handling at any one time
    (b) The amount of memory allocated to PHP scripts by the host server
    (C) The speed of the host's Internet connection
    (d) The speed of the remote PC's internet connection (i.e., the speed of the connection you are using)
    (e) The speed of the remote PC (i.e., your PC), and how much memory it has
    (f) The size of the temporary internet file space on your PC.  Too much and too little are not good.

Some hosting companies just don't know how to configure their servers for optimum performance. 

Please e-mail me (you already have the e-mail address) with your server's URL and with logon credentials (ordinary user and password for now) so that I can see for myself.

To eliminate your own PC and its internet cnnection as a potential source of problems, try accessing my site:  http://keldine.ca/phpGedView  .  If this performs well, you know that your own PC and its internet connection aren't the problem.

• Irene Eng
    Irene Eng
    2011-10-08

Thanks Cana
    I tried your site, it runs fine.  My site's PGV runs fine for just looking - but it gets very slow when I update. I'm checking with DH too.  I had no idea that speed has anything to do with my host.
    Thank you.

• stephen
    stephen
    2012-08-24

It is possible that you may have php-mysqli installed already but it may need to be configured inside the php.ini file before phpmyadmin can use it.-Dr. Paul Perito