Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

View Notes/Sources/Media for Immediate Family

Help
Thomas52
2013-05-12
2013-05-29
  • Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-12

Is there a control or option for this I haven't yet found?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-12

Do you mean Few Close relatives facts? There is a check box on the INDI page and a master configuration to automatically show those events and facts. Is that what you mean?
    -Stephen

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-12

VIEW nor Few

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-12

I don't see the check box your are referring, but the question was relating to an option for the sidebar "View Details for…" OR "View Notes for…" or Media for either "Immediate Family" and/or "Parents Family."

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-12

Sorry, I see you were referring to the check box "Events of close relatives" - no, I'm looking at a very busy & long sidebar.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-12

No, please - NOTHING else for the sidebars. IMO, they are already a disaster.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-12

Well, they are rather busy and rather long but I expect someone thought it was a good idea, but to get back to my question: is there an "off" button?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-12

Sorry, Off button for what? Did you check to see which sidebar modules you have activated? This is how you would control their visibility in webtrees. There, you can have all disabled, certain ones enabled and certain ones enabled for certain roles. It's been more than three years since I've run a PGV site (although I maintain v3 and v4 on my laptop for helping), so I don't remember whether PGV had those options.
    -Stephen

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-12

I want to GET RID OF the "View Notes for…" and the "View Sources for…" and the "View Media for…" BOTH the "Immediate Family" and for "Parents Family."  If there is a control, or option, or switch, otr check box, or activation of any kind, then I have not yet found it. 
    I hope to - in time - switch to webtrees - and I am familiar with all the benefits and pros & cons, etc. - but at this time I am using PGV 4.3.0.
    In PGV, is there a switch, option, or control to DISABLE or TURN OFF the sidebars?  Are there files I can delete or rename to HIDE the sidebars?
    Thank you.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-12

I want to GET RID OF the "View Notes for…" and the "View Sources for…" and the "View Media for…" BOTH the "Immediate Family" and for "Parents Family."

Where do you see these? I don't see them in your site's sidebar as a visitor. I do see the navigation panes with relationships, YOB-YOD and names.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-13

Looks like most of this is in the individual_ctrl.php file: Try REM'g out these lines (about 57-62) but I can't be sure. V4.2.1 added code to make preparations for making display configurable, but Brian never finished it here and he has since passed away.

// SET Family Navigator for each Tab as necessary  - SHOW/HIDE ===============
    $NAV_FACTS = "SHOW"; // Facts and Details Tab Navigator
    $NAV_NOTES = "SHOW"; // Notes Tab Navigator
    $NAV_SOURCES = "SHOW"; // Sources Tab Navigator
    $NAV_MEDIA = "SHOW"; // Media Tab Navigator
    $NAV_ALBUM = "SHOW"; // Album Tab Navigator

I repeat - ALL of this is configurable in webtrees, which is not code that has been stagnant for more than three years.
    -Stephen

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-13

Lines 449-507 in the individual.php include 
    449 <!- ======================== Start Tab 1 individual page ==== Notes ======= ->

465 <!- =========================== Start Tab 2 individual page === Sources ->

483 <!- ==================== Start Tab 3 individual page ==== Media ->

… etc.., but I can't QUITE get the right lines without an error.

I get your message loud & clear, Stephen.  Thank you.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-13

Sorry, you want to remove the tabs on the INDI page, Not the navigator section at all?
    If you wish to mess with the truly built in tabs, sorry, I can't help. The navigator panel is effectively an add-on, even to PGV, but it was integrated and then, in webtrees, split out like most modules and addons.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-13

No, sorry, wrong lines.  I do not wish to remove the tabs.  I want to remove the SIDEBARS that say "View Notes for…" and the "View Sources for…" and the "View Media for…" BOTH the "Immediate Family" and for "Parents Family."
    I don't know how else to say it.
    (As previously noted, this forum does not allow "editing" when you realize you've "mis-spoken.")

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-13

IIRC, the navigational sidebar was added to most of the INDI tab pages (PF, Notes, Sources, Album, Family Members) back in schema 10-11. All of these pages had ample room for the navigational tool, while GM and tree did not.

The title of the navigational sidebar changes, depending on which INDI tab you are reviewing: PF = View Details, Notes = View Notes, Album = View Album…, etc. This is intended to indicate that you will be delivered to a related individual and immediately viewing the same tab that you are currently viewing on that INDI's page, and, this works as designed. However, it also makes it easy to switch any related INDI and then simply click the PF tab or any other tab to see more and different data displayed.

If you wish to go back and remove the sidebar functionality from the other tabs, then review the changes to the code done by that schema (I think 10.11), but I can't imagine why you would want to change the availability of this handy tool for quick navigation.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-13

Stephen:  I get mixed signals on the "sidebar" as "… they are already a disaster," and/or "… this handy tool for quick navigation."  I'm somewhat in between, but would prefer being WITHOUT.   If I have any success, I will post the results for anyone else interested.  Thanks for all input.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-13

webtrees added, IMO, too many, but fortunately, you can turn them off (search, relationship, etc).
    PGV has only the Parents and Immediate, so its not so bad, but not configurable.
    Probably a CSS change on the page to block it on the NOTES, SOUR, ALBUM tabs, but frankly, I like being able to jump to my fathers album when viewing mine.
    Good luck.
    -Stephen

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-05-13

My bad (again:)  Stephen had it all along - to hide the "View Notes for…," etc.,  change individual_ctrl.php lines 57-62 to "HIDE" as appropriate.
    Thank you, Stephen

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-13

I try ;-))
    You are welcome. Glad you found your solution.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-05-14

Is it worth implementing the required configuration option?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-05-14

Don't we have enough configuration options that no one uses already?  ;-)))
    In 9 years, I've never heard someone ask for this before.
    -Stephen