Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

PDOException with install.php

Help
ou81aswell
2013-02-21
2013-05-29
  • ou81aswell
    ou81aswell
    2013-02-21

I just installed phpGedView 2.4.4 and when I try to point my browser to mydomain.com/pgv/install.php I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'No Connection Established' in /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/includes/classes/class_pgv_db.php:704 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/includes/functions/functions_db.php(2744): PGV_DB::prepare('SELECT setting_…') #1 /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/includes/session.php(533): get_user_setting('admin', 'language') #2 /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/config.php(74): require_once('/home/content/r…') #3 /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/install.php(43): require_once('/home/content/r…') #4 {main} thrown in /home/content/r/a/n/randoon/html/kinfolks/pgv/includes/classes/class_pgv_db.php on line 704

I have setup a MySQL database and verified that I'm using the correct hostname, db name, user id and password in the config.php file.

I also tried it with the stock version of config.php but got the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• ou81aswell
    ou81aswell
    2013-02-21

I should add that I'm trying to setup pgv on a site hosted at godaddy.com

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-02-22

You should be using the "SVN" version, which is also known as 4.3.0.  Download and install/upgrade instructions are in a help topic below this one.  The title of this topic begins with "Repost: Download "SVN" version".

You need to create the database before you try to use PGV.  PGV can't do this for you - it can only create tables within the database.

• ou81aswell
    ou81aswell
    2013-02-22

Thanks. It wasn't apparent to me that I should download a SVN version on the PhpGedView summary page however I did setup the database ahead of time.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-02-22

If this is a completely new installation, you should consider using Webtrees instead of PhpGedView.

Webtrees was cloned from PhpGedView about three years ago, and is under active development and has good support.  PhpGedView is stagnant, and very little support is available.

Your error message indicates that the database connection information you supplied when you configured PhpGedView is incorrect or was not saved to the "config.php" file properly.  You can either edit the file "config.php" manually to insert the right information, or you can replace the existing file with a fresh copy from your set of downloaded files. 

Be sure to set the file's permissions to 777 (universal read/write/modify) so that PhpGedView can store your updated configuration information in this file.  When PGV is running properly, set the file's permissions to 755.

• ou81aswell
    ou81aswell
    2013-02-22

Thanks. I did discover webtrees and ended up installing it while I waited to see what I was doing wrong with pgv. I believe I setup and configured pgv's database parameters correctly because I used the same empty database (and settings) for webtrees and it worked right "out of the box". webtrees worked the first time I tried it and seems to fit the bill so I'm sticking with it.