Online updating - clarification please

Help
kaat
2004-09-23
2013-05-29
  • kaat
    kaat
    2004-09-23

Please excuse my multiple postings; I'm delving into PGV much more than before ...

I need to know exactly what is meant by this portion of help-text:

------------------
    IMPORT GEDCOM

In case on line changes are made to the GEDCOM by your self or by your users, you will have to re-import the GEDCOM, in order to make the changes permanent.
    ------------------

Does it mean that after online changes are made, a then downloaded GEDCOM will not contain the changes unless it was re-imported?

Thanks
    Martin

• John Finlay
      John Finlay
      2004-09-23

Hi Martin,

Any changes need to be accepted into the database before anyone but the users with accept privileges will be able to see them.  In index mode, part of accepting the changes involves re-importing the database.  It used to be the same with MySQL, but MySQL now has the option to accept changes individually.

So to better answer your question, if you download the gedcom file using FTP, all of the most recent changes will be there.  If you download the gedcom from PGV using the clippings cart or the download link, you will only get what is in the database.  Any changes have to accepted before they get into the database.

I've updated the online documentation to better explain how online editing in PGV works and the requirement to accept the changes.

http://www.phpgedview.net/editing.php

--John

• kaat
      kaat
      2004-09-24

Very much appreciate your help ..

Oh, and lest it not be said, THANK YOU and the other developers for a wonderful and unique system in PGV.