Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Fatal error: Call to a member function

Help
David Best
2011-09-15
2013-05-30
  • David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-15

Just did the upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.2.4. It went very smoothly, a lil too smooth.
    I'm getting this error within the Place Hierarchy:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function getType() on a non-object in /home/katiespix/public_html/phpgedview/placelist.php on line 390

I'm receiving it when I click on one particular City and it just happens to be the most common city within my database.

Also, I know we work with a standardized GED file format. How is the best way to input information that is out of the norm. For example: Find A Grave information or memorial ID's from Find A Grave.

Thanks to all

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-15

Did you export your database to a GEDCOM before the upgrade, and then re-import it afterwards?  During the re-import, you must let PGV replace existing database contents, and also NOT keep media links.  You don't keep media links because the previously exported GEDCOM will contain the required information.

There have been a number of bug fixes and a few enhancements since 4.2.4 was released.  You should really upgrade to 4.3.0.  Download and install instructions for 4.3.0 are in a recent (within the last month) Help forum post whose title begins with "Repost:"

If the information you're trying to record doesn't fit into the standardized format, you can always use a Note.  Notes are free-form, and can be used for whatever purposes you choose.  Our advice could be more specific if you would give us an example of what doesn't fit. 

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-15

OK,I'm a little confused now.
    I did just as the upgrade instructions stated for the exception of reimporting the GEDCOM file. I didn't reimport it because everything other than this works correctly and I didn't want to double up on the data.
    So far with what I can tell, this is the only issue with the entire upgrade process and it's only for this one City.

If 4.3.0 is the newest and greatest, why isn't it listed within the files area here?

A note sounds great for this. However, I was hoping for an easier solution. I currently had modified on the back end to include a fact that I could add. For example:
    I would use the dropdown and select the "FAG" fact that I had added.
    Then on the next screen add the memorial ID:  "57069639" (without quotes), then save.
    It would then add and merge the FAG web link with the memorial ID. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=57069639. Only showing a clickable link like this; Find A Grave Memorial: 57069639

I understand that the link could change breaking the connection to FAG but I don't know of any other way to add this easily.

Thank you!

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-09-15

If 4.3.0 is the newest and greatest, why isn't it listed within the files area here?

Because there is no 'OFFICIAL' release of this build to replace the last, as noted in several HELP threads.

I didn't reimport it because everything other than this works correctly and I didn't want to double up on the data.

Double up the data? Why would an import double anything? The only choice on an import is to replace the existing data.  The only possible "double-up" is the media and if you exported your PGV gedcom and then reimport it with the notation to NOT SAVE media links (they are already within the PGV-exported GEDCOM), then there would be no doubling.

If you moved from 4.2.3, you must do a reimport to populate several tables that changed including the SEX (gender) table.
    -Stephen

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-15

Ok, so I just updated to the newest and greatest and now I can't see individuals.
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method IndividualController::getWebLinks() in /home/katiespix/public_html/phpgedview/individual.php on line 127

This is worse than before as with before, It would only occur if one selected the single place. Now I can't view individuals. I also followed the steps not leaving out anything.

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-15

Also, When I select Branches from under List. It pulls a 500 Internal Server Error.
    Research Assistant doesn't work either. It just produces a blank page labeled, "Research Assistant".

Just seeing if any of this would be helpful in determining the issue.

Thanks

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

Your procedure for uploading the latest-and-greatest from your local PC to the server is faulty.

Please check, on your local PC, that the file "includes/controllers/individual_ctrl.php" has function getWebLinks defined at line 448.  Perform the same check on the file on your server.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

I just downloaded and expanded the latest-and-greatest file, and checked the file "includes/controllers/individual_ctrl.php".  It DOES have the function defined on line 448.

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-17

I'm sorry but I'm not trying to be ugly by stating the "latest and greatest". I was simply saying I've downloaded the latest version.
    I also had never imported data as I started from scratch, so not knowing what it would do or how it functioned slightly scared me. Speaking generically, most of the time when one imports data it adds to the existing data.

I'm following the instructions one step at a time using FileZilla to upload the files. Everything uploads smoothly with no issues of overwrite or anything odd taking place during the upload. The reason I didn't import the first time is because it said that it was optional if upgrading to 4.2.x to 4.2.y.

Let me ask this, is there a way (or this might be the way ) to start from scratch without loosing the older version data, including media? I'm asking this just in-case, something was overwrote or left out during the transfer. I'm not saying that it did or didn't cause I don't think it did.

As a side note (which this is crazy to me). I created a backup of the original (4.2.3 ) entire folder and just named it phpgedbackup. I can go into that tree/software and it works just fine. No issues or anything. The main folder/software that I've been working with, constantly had issues, errors everywhere even after upgrading it several times. So, I deleted the folder completely and just copied the backup in it's place. So now when I try to login to the software, it just refreshes and takes me back to the login screen again. This is on the copied version of the backup, keep in mind that the backup still works fine. That to me is just nuts… it's making me nuts… Nothing has changed other than copying it.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

You say that you're following the the instructions exactly.  Are you following the instructions in the Help topic "Repost: …", or other instructions?

I find the "other" instructions to be very confusing and prone to error.  The instructions in the Help topic tell you to start with the old and presumably working installation, make backups of everything (so you can get back to where you were), blow away the existing installation except for key files and directories, and then copy the "latest and greatest" structure from your local PC to the server, except for key files and directories that you preserved from the original installation.

The upgrade procedure in the Help topic also works for 4.2.3 to 4.2.4, or any other 4.2.x upgrade.  It does not work for downgrades, since there's no way for PGV to revert database structures - the only path is "forward".  That's why you're told to make backups which you can then restore.  DO NOT rely on the "backup" script in PGV - it's not reliable and is in serious need of re-writing.

I like (and use) MySQLDumper to backup and restore my database tables.  I also use it to migrate or copy my PGV site from one host site to another or even from one table name prefix to another.  There are other, similar, tools out there.

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-17

The first set of instructions I followed were the ones that come with the 4.2.4 (readme file). That then leads one to the Upgrade page here: http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Upgrading
    After I did that upgrade I only had the error with the one place not working. The next upgrade was from 4.2.4 to 4.3 and I used the instructions that was in the Help forum, which are basically the same but not as detailed as the other.

I know this shouldn't be sooo complicated. I don't know why I've had these issues either. It just doesn't make since, even when I did the first upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 I shouldn't have had that issue, but, I did.

Now the issue is that the backup (just copied the original and pasted into another folder) works fine. When I delete the original folder and paste the backup like it was, it will not log me into phpgedview on the copied backup. Seriously, this is the craziest thing I've ever seen with doing this. No bad or ill thoughts towards the software, just concerned I'm going to loose all the work I've put into the tree.

Do you know what would cause it to not allow one to login and just keep refreshing to the welcome screen? I put my user and PW in, press login. It then runs and takes me to the welcome screen without logging me in or producing any errors. I've got to get it up and running in order to upgrade it. You can see what I'm talking about at these links.

*This one will not let me login* This is the main place for the tree. It is a copy of the original backup: http://www.katiespix.com/phpgedview

*This one works and allows me to login* This is the copy of the phpgedview where I just copied the folder /phpgedview and pasted it into the /phpgedview_backup. http://www.katiespix.com/phpgedview_backup/phpgedview

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

Check both copies of file "config.php".  The values for $SERVER_URL and $LOGIN_URL should be empty.  $AUTHENTICATION_MODULE should have the value "authentication.php".

If this checks out, please e-mail me some login credentials so that I can see this very odd behaviour for myself.

• David Best
    David Best
    2011-09-17

Everything is just as you said, blank on both and auth link is there. I tried to send you a message but it tells me that it "could not retrieve page id"

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-19

The problem turned out to be some bad cookies stored on the user's PC.

When the cookies were deleted, things started working properly.