Multimedia empty

Help
2012-06-04
2013-05-30
  • Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-04

I have about 40 multimedia items in the /media folder.  Most, perhaps all, appear with the appropriate person when viewing through pgv.  However under 'Lists/MultiMediaObjects no items are shown.

I have a little experience with phpmysql and can see that pgv_media has pgv_media_mapping has 40.

I see quite a few mentions of this topic but none of them seem to fit my circumstances. records,

Any help would be appreciated

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-04

Nothing will show until you click the "Apply Filter" button.  This behaviour is intentional.

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-06-04

I presume this has happened since you moved the 'home' of the site?

http://phpgedview.lsces.org.uk/medialist.php?ged=CAINEFull07022004.GED is accessing my copy, but I can't see anything in particular that would cause a problem.

In config.php, $SERVER_URL= is pointing to your new location?

Guys … the extended path does not get stored in the database does it? I'm just expecting 'media/xxx/picture' or simply 'media/picture' as specified by $MEDIA_DIRECTORY in config_gedcom.php … or am I missing something

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-04

Thanks for the reponses.

Gerry - The "'Lists/MultiMediaObject" page has no reference to filters on it.  All I see is the title "MultiMedia Objects" and nothing else.  If I go to My Gedview Portal then Manage MultiMedia I do have a Filter and a Display All button.  Neither of these buttons produces any response.

Lester - No, I didn't change the 'home' - I thought I'd try to sort this out first.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-05

Bill:
    Yes, it does.  There's a block of display options, in two columns.  In the second row of the first column, you have a Filter field.  There's an "Apply Filter" button which will activate the display even when the filter field is empty.

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-06-05

Bill - I presume you had a look at my media list? So you are not getting even the top of it?
    I'd possibly check the log file to see if there is another problem going on. I think you should get the header even if there is no content.

Gerry … when did the need to select anything get added? I've never had to do more that load the page to see the content …

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-05

Isces:
    The need to click on the "Filter" button even when the filter field is empty was added more than 4 years ago.  The idea is that when there are a whole lot of media items in the /media directory, you might not want to see them all. 

It's better to make the user click on the "Filter" button every time rather than force him to wait for the entire media list before engaging a filter.  Just think about it:  How long would you have to wait for 1,000 media items to be displayed before you can reduce the display to the 10 you're actually interested in?

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-06-05

Strange …
    Check out http://phpgedview.lsces.org.uk/medialist.php?ged=CAINEFull07022004.GED
    It has only EVER displayed the selected number of files for a page … along with the navigation bar. Certainly not some I added, but it WOULD have been if it wasn't already pesent …

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-05

You have mixed metaphors.
    Gerry is talking about ADMIN pages, you are talking public pages from the medialist.
    I wish the same were true for the visitor/user pages as it takes over 4 minutes for my page to load (4,253 media items).
    -Stephen

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-06

Gerry, I've taken two screen shots would it help if I sent them to you - if so how?

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-06

Lester - which log file?

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-06-06

Lester - which log file?
    In my case it's the apache log … when I mess something up the answer is usually there :)

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-06

bill_lancaster:
    You can e-mail the screen shots to me.  gkroll at keldine dot ca

Stephen:
    I thought the "don't show anything on the media list until told to do so" feature was implemented.  I'll look into this, because it SHOULD work that way! 

My site has the media files organized into folders, so I don't notice that it doesn't work the way I thought it should.

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-07

I've just created a new (empty) pgv on another webiste, imported my pgv and everything seems fine.
    I can view all my multimedia items etc.
    Where do I go from here?  I now have a working pgv on the wrong website!

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-07

I received the screen shot from Bill.

The description of the problem is wrong:  What's actually happening is that the Media List page is not displaying completely.  The display stops after the top part of the page is duisplayed.  Not even the page footer shows.

As with any other incomplete page display, the first thing to do is to look at the page source.  Near the bottom of that source, there is usually a series of error messages that will provide a clue to the problem.

Generally, the incomplete page display is caused by one of three things:  (a) insufficient memory,  (b) insufficient execution time  (C) database error.

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-08

Gerry, I recall some time ago that the total of multimedia items was less than actual.  I think I have a databas error.

Would it be possible to delete the databas entries and start from the beginning?  Does the successful rebuild of pgv on another site support this (see my yesterday's posting)?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-06-08

I've just created a new (empty) pgv on another website, imported my pgv and everything seems fine.

@BIll, are the parameters identical for these 'sites' (read servers)? If so, why not simply create a new gedcom on your existing PGV site and then import the tree that you just did so on the 'seems fine' site, running it parallel to the supposedly ill-functioning version?
    Every import 'rebuilds' the database, but me thinks you continue to struggle needlessly. Your wasting time on setting up a site that, from your discussions and our recommendations, you have little or no intention to use.

There is also one other solution (assuming that your sites' parameters are equivalent. Datadump your new working site and replace your SQL database on the ill-functioning server (after backup) with the datadump'd version.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-06-08

Bill:
    You need to look at the page source.  Near the bottom of that page source, you should see some sort of error message.  Address that problem first.

The procedure for viewing the page source differs slightly, depending on which browser you're using.  In Firefox and Chrome, you right-click on the page, and then select "View Page Source" in the menu.  In IE and Safari, you select "Page Source".  In Opera, you select "Source".

• Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-06-10

Stephen,  the ide of setting up on another site was a temporary arrangement.

I have now installed a fresh pgv under a different folder on my regular website and imported a gedcom file from the faulty pgv.  Result!  All my multimedia are showing correctly.

Thanks for all you help, I hope I shan't be bothering you guys for a while!

Gerry, I had a look at the code for the faulty page, could see no sign of error message but didn't really understand what I was looking at.  Having got my pgv working on another site I compared the source of both pages.  Aprt from the 'good' one being about 40% bigger (no surprise) I still couldn't get any clues.

Anyway, from the above, you will see that the problem is solved.  Thanls for all your help.

Bill

• Anonymous
    2012-07-26

I just started having a similar problem.    There are no errors in the page source, but the last thing displayed is the script tag for prototype.js.   This happened after I changed the location of the home page in the config file from https:// to http://,  then attempted to upload two media files.   The attempt resulted in the empty mutimedia list, and the files did not get uploaded.  How can I troubleshoot this?   Thanks!

nick

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-26

Nick:
    You should have started your own thread.

In the new thread, please tell us the PGV version you're running, and also whether you're using the Media Firewall feature.