Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Login gives "404"

Help
tnmtnmom
2012-04-06
2013-05-30
  • tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-06

Clicking Login give a "404" page.  I was logged in and received an e-mail from in-law saying they could not login.  I logged out and couldn't log in either.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-04-06

If you keep changing the DNS and folder locations, you'll keep messing up your PGV. It sets the LogIn URL in the database based on the initial setup. Moving the files about will ruin the setup.

Chances are, you'll have to access the database to make the changes necessary, but with your experience level, this is probably not wise. Let me think about it a moment and I'll advise further. It may be possible to change the configuration by changing the config.ini, but that will require FTP access.

Just don't mess with the location of the files, as you did do.  You may need to reinstall.
    -Stephen

• tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-06

I was able to edit config.php and remove the added url.  BTW, I did not move any files and did not chang the DNS and folder locationsII

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-04-07

Sorry, but you did move things. You posted you own actions in another thread - moving the entire program to the base folder from the phpgedview folder. That was not necessary as you could have set your httpd.conf to point to the phpgedview folder, and it makes for a messy installation. OK if you don't intend to run other programs, but if you do - what a mess.

Once again, the default installation is meant to apply to 99% of installations. There is little to no reason, unless you have very unusual configurations of your site, that you need to add or change anything. When you do, you will likely take down your site, making it unavailable to users (ticks them off) and you. Too it can leave you vulnerable to hacking. Basically, don't change anything until you understand the program better. This is a very general rule for all users.
    -Stephen

• tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-07

That's right I did move the contents.  But I also sent you 2 jpg's showing what I was getting and did you reply to help when you got them????  No.  I don't pretend to be anything other than a person trying to use a program.  I am not a coder or someone that likes to spout off like you seem to.  For someone that doesn't use the program for their own tree it really strange why you
    act  like you do. 

This is the most unfriendly forum I've ever been on. 

You can delete this post if I have offended you as I will be leaving the forum.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-04-07

Funny how you view the forum as being unfriendly. You received unprecedented support - prompt and helpful - almost immediately upon every request. You received over 2 hours of my time on setting up your site, importing your GEDCOM for you and configuring a few things that should have been set up prior to attempting installataion (changes in PHP.INI and config.php) with time alloted to scripts, permissions and memory.  NOT ONE WORD of THANKS - but rather more questions. More attempts to modify the standard installation, trashing my first attempt to set up your files.

You haven't offended me, but you seem to have little regard for others time or talent. Installing a free, open-source program comes with obligations. You shouldn't view the support team as your personal free helpers. You should be reading the available support documents (read me, WIKI and forum) to answer most questions and only after doing so, should you request help - and advise us that you did look first for an answer.

Don't take this personally, but your data is riddled with format errors, lacks data entry conventions and formats, and is screaming for some sources (you list only 5 sources for 150,000 indi's??  Genealogy is a science that requires conforming to its rules. Recording family history - names and dates, whether derived from memory, copying others efforts or true research and development - requires more than just plugging in data. Every item should be supported with its source as otherwise it is not much more than a guess.

Is this a common error for those just starting? Yes. Is it important to try to fix? Yes.  Doing otherwise adds nothing to the collective effort to record family histories in a proper manner.

A thank you would have gone a long way, but if you read the more than several offline responses I provided (not my fault you used your wife's email address to correspond0, you'll see I was more than polite and full of suggestions, despite not having received any pat on the back.  Hard to believe you are 68. I would have thought more likely 8.
    -Stephen

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-04-07

@ Stephen,

I hate to keep this nasty thread alive, however you did not respond to mtnmom's riposte about not using PhpGedView.   You've moved on to other software, and yet you're often on the PGV forums running down PGV, recommending the forked version of PGV, generally insulting and p_ing off PGV users, and then acting hurt that they don't show you enough gratitude.

You owe this forum an explanation, which I hope you can accomplish without personally insulting me.

Thanks,

George

• tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-07

I apologize for even starting this thread and even though I like PGV, I'm not a vindictive person.  Like I said earlier, I'm not a programer or coder or skilled in any of this stuff.  But when I get insulted because I don't understand anything about a subject,  I get p*ssed.  I don't need to be associated with a forum where I'm made to feel like I have to kiss *ss for help and not a lecture! 

@stephen

1.  I gave you an admin login, then you set yourself up as an administrator without asking. or informing me.
    2. You lied when you said  "NOT ONE WORD of THANKS"   post the PM's I sent you!

Anyway as soon as I can find different software we will part ways.

Tom

• tnmtnmom
    tnmtnmom
    2012-04-07

"Gedcom File Size is 392MB"  thread has 4 Thanks or Thank you's from me.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-04-07

@George
    I think I hardly need to explain anything. I rarely encourage abandonment of PGV and I mention other software choices no more than other developers, and then usually only to someone just starting out. If one intends to keep abreast of major improvements in underlying server software, and online collaborative genealogy features, there are few choices and no one could consider PGV amongst those options.

I contribute a significant amount of time on this forum, not as an evangelist, but rather to help people who still want to use PGV. I have an excellent knowledge of PGV, and since it has not changed now in two years, whether I'm using it personally or not (and I still am on four sites I host for others) has little to do with my ability to provide support to this project. I don't get confused on configuration options in PGV versus others, so what's the big deal?

Tom asked some typical newbie questions. After both Gerry and I provided typical experienced responses, he still was stuck, so I requested admin access to assist directly. Instead of creating an admin user for access as I requested, he provided me with his personal access. I would never want to have or use someone else's password and u/n to administer a site as I strongly believe these should remain personal (they may be used for banking, credit cards and other controlled access sites). I set up my own admin access that he can delete at any time and he can change his password and I would no longer be able to access his site. This is the proper way to assist someone.

Specifically as to Tom: i sent Tom several problems I saw with the configuration and with his data, making suggestions on the best way he should proceed. This included learning the program using the default settings before venturing out to try to make changes and fixing specific data errors before they were compounded by entering more or opening the site to users. Instead, he choose to move the site's directory and then misread theme selection instructions and trashed his site, twice.  When volunteering one's limited time (and mine is), one hopes that what we provide will not have to be redone.  If you don't understand what results your actions will cause, then when dealing with some new software it would be best to walk before you run, and take your time to become acquainted with the features available and fix your data.

AFAIAC, this topic is closed. If you feel that I over-promote other software, please contact me offline and we can discuss further. However, I would qualify that the support I provide to PGV users is in no way compromised by my interest in other projects.
    -Stephen

• I don't see how Stephen is the bad guy for still supporting PGV when it is for all practical purposes dead. Heck, didn't he just post a fix to SVN in a different thread?

IMO, Webtrees is the new PGV.  It's no secret, and someone starting from scratch should not be on PGV because there is very little coding support and there will be a dwindling amount of peer support. As future PHP changes break more and more of PGVs code, it will be increasingly abandoned. Sad but true.

I'm still on it, but I have a very small tree and very little activity. At some point I'll migrate to WT. Stephen has a much larger site and has already seen a benefit in migrating. So what?

• Hmm, hopefully, everything's settled now..