Help
TObject
2011-08-22
2013-05-30
  • TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-22

Hi,

When upgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4 I followed the upgrade instructions exactly. Now when I go to the PhpGedView index page, instead of the homepage, I get redirected to the step three (Create Tables) of the install.php.

Could you please point me in the right direction as to what is wrong?

Thank you.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-22

Which upgrade instructions did you follow?  There are several different versions, each confusing in different ways.

You should be following the instructions in this Help topic:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768

If possible, try to restore your version 4.2.2 site and database, and try the upgrade again following the instructions in the Help topic above. 

It's probably worth upgrading to version 4.3.0 (the "SVN Tarball" mentioned in the Help topic.  If you decide to upgrade to this version, you should delay until tomorrow - I've just added some improvements to 4.3.0 that won't show up in the Tarball until tomorrow.

The improvements deal with web analytics (Google Analytics, Piwik, ClustrMaps).  If that's not important to you, you don't need to wait.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-08-22

@Persistent
    Sorry to be so direct, but obviously you didn't follow the upgrade instructions EXACTLY, as hundred - perhaps thousands - have done so without the issue that you mention.

You did keep you config.php file, did you not? This is the file, and the only one, that directs the program to the installed database. There are very few minor table tweaks in 4.2.4 vs 4.2.2.

Did you use PHPMYADMIN to examine your database and its structure? Are all the tables still there? If not, then somehow you trashed them and you need to restore to the previous period. You did say you followed the directions EXACTLY - so of course you have several backups of both the data and databases.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-22

I followed instructions in the Wiki. Yes, I can restore the 4.2.2 no problem, it works fine.

Actually, the 4.2.2 works fine even without restoring the database.  Would that be an indication that database update scripts are failing to run?

On the 4.2.4 side, I can’t login or do anything; I just get bumped to the step three of the install.php.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-22

I am using the config.php file, as well as the media and index folder (minus cache subfolder and reports.dat file) from the 4.2.2.

When I step through the install.php all the database connection parameters and mail server credentials are correct. But then it asks me to create the administrator user, and I don’t do that, as I obviously something is wrong; I don’t want to create a new administrator, I want to keep all the old users.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-22

I think you didn't make sure that the "config.php" file from your 4.2.2 installation was preserved (copied) into the 4.2.4 installation.

Try reading the instructions in the Help topic mentioned above.  These instructions are an awful lot clearer than the mess in the Wiki article.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-22

I've seen a few instances where the FTP client on the local PC didn't play well with the FTP installed on the server.  This resulted in faulty uploads.

It might be worth clearing out the entire PGV install directory on the server, except for file "config.php" and directories "index" and "media".  In other words, follow the instructions in the Help topic mentioned above.  

Check that the database connection parameters are OK, and step through each of the Install Wizard pages by clicking "Next".  Do NOT use the menu of Wizard steps on the left.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-22

Stepping through just fine, everything is green. Do I have to create the new Administrator user?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-22

No, you should not need to create a new admin user.  The database tables between 4.2.2 and 4.2.4 are not very different, and PGV should have picked up the existing Admin user.

Use phpmyadmin or a similar tool to examine the database.  Do you have just one set of tables, or are there two sets with slightly different table name prefixes?

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-23

All the tables have the same prefix.

I went ahead and created the new admin user, after re-importing the GEDCOM as the https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768 topic instructs, everything seems to be in place and working.

Now among the others in the database there are two tables:

{prefix}users and {prefix}user

The first one contains all the users from 4.2.2.
    The second one contains all those users plus the new administrator.

For the upgrade I was using the official release version of 4.2.4. I will try to do everything from the beginning with the latest SVN version tomorrow.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-23

I just noticed, Full Name of the users has disappeared after the upgrade, and the old administrator has lost his administrative privledges. Also, Date Registered for all old users was set to December 31, 1969, 4 PM. HTH.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-23

Is JavaScript required for upgrade procedures?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-23

You should always use PhpGedView with a browser that supports JavaScript.  (Why wouldn't you?)

If you wish, I can try to do the upgrade for you.  I would want to start from a working 4.2.2 installation.

Let's talk by e-mail to decide exactly what I should be doing, and what logon credentials I'll need.

e-mail:  gkroll at keldine dot ca

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-23

That's probably why the upgrade got butchered.

I am on Windows Server 2008 R2 where JavaScript is off by default. I'll do the upgrade tomorrow again with JavaScript on.

Thanks for your help.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-08-23

If that doesn't work, please contact me.  I'd like to help you by attempting the upgrade from this end.

• TObject
    TObject
    2011-08-23

I did the upgrade again with the SVN version downloaded half an hour ago. The full user names are still missing, and the dates registered are still screwed up. And I was still asked to create administrator.

The GEDCOM itself seems to be working, so I am going to call it good.

Thank you for your help.